Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
I am wondering what is used to allow iPad to play to multiple speakers? AirPort Extreme/Express?

Essentially I want to buy multiple Bose wifi soundtouch speakers and want to stream my music throughout the house.

Any advice?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You can either buy Bluetooth speakers, use the 3.5mm jack on the newer Aiport express or extreme, and an ATV to do this.

I have a couple if AirPlay enabled AV systems that allow direct streaming from an IOS device, but tahrs a tad expensive.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
You can use Bluetooth speakers, but I'd read that the sound quality suffers. I went with WiFi-connected speakers. There are at least two ways to do this:

(1) Buy Airplay compatible powered speakers, which have WiFi (and sometimes Ethernet) connection built in to them. (The Bose SoundTouch™ Portable Wi-Fi® music system appears to fall into this category.)

(2) Buy an Airport Express, which has an audio out jack that you connect to any stereo system, boom box, or powered speakers that have an AUX input. (Apple refurb at $75 is a good deal on these.)

You can use some of (1) and some of (2) in your house. I've got an Express/stereo setup in my living room, an Express/mini-amp/speakers in my bedroom, and a Boston Acoustics MC200Air Wireless Speaker System for AirPlay in my kitchen.

I can have all of these playing simultaneously, and it sounds great! i "play" the music from iTunes on a Mac, and iTunes on a Windows machine, and I usually use an iPod Touch as a remote control (get Apple's Remote app). I have also played music directly from the iPod, just don't have much on there. An iPad should work the same -- it could be the source or the remote control or both. I think it's the Music app you use in iOS. You just select the output location(s) from a list.

The Bose system you mentioned should work with iTunes like any other Airplay system -- buried in the text they say that AirPlay is built into the system. They also have their own software which appears to allow access to more internet radio stations, and "can play music stored on your computer that is managed by iTunes® or Windows Media Player." I think their software would be optional if you're only playing from your iPad or an iTunes library.

One important point: it's critical that there is a good, solid network connection to each speaker location. This would have to be WiFi to the Bose unit, and either WiFi or Ethernet to an Airport Express or my Boston Acoustics unit, for example (the BA unit has an Ethernet port, rather rare for Airplay speakers). The Bose is WiFi only.

If the wireless connection, for example, is marginal, you'll hear momentary dropouts of the music, lasting from a few seconds to a minute. Very annoying while listening to music! You might need to improve/extend your WiFi coverage to get an acceptable listening experience.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
If I recall correctly, iOS can only stream to 1 device.

I have 2 Airport Expresses & 2 AppleTVs.
I have one Airport Express that runs the speakers outside & the other in the living room.
I have tried stream to both from my iPhone, but can't last time I tried. Also at times the music can break up if the Wifi link isn't the greatest.

What I do, & what I suspect you want to do ...
I use the Remote app on my iOS device (iPhone or iPad) to remote to my iTunes on my iMac. (A lot of "i" ;^) )
I can stream to as many devices as I want and music is in sync. I rarely get music breaking up with this setup. Also my iTunes library can be a lot bigger.

nbernste

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
music to two speakers via airplay from ipad

Hi

Anyone know how to send music from your ipad to two airplay devices (speakers) at the same time please? It allows me to select two or more at the same time on my mac but when I try to do it via my ipad by swiping up, it only ever seems to allow me to do it to one speaker.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

NB

nbernste

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
thanks very much for the reply.

So if I am reading this correctly I use my PC to connect and play my music simultaneously through my air play speakers but then use my phone to control my PC that is playing the music and what i want to play?

thanks very much

rluvbeach

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2014
Boynton Beach, FL
if your music is stored on your ipad, use can use an app called Whaale that allows you stream to multiple airplay speakers.

they also have a large list of internet radio stations and other sources you can stream from (not streaming apps like pandora or slacker unfortunately).

works great in my house, steaming to 4 airport expresses connected to my bose wave radios.

nbernste

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
thanks very much for taking the time to respond, will definitely be giving this a go.

cheers

NB

JustJohn

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2015
Australia
I am wondering what is used to allow iPad to play to multiple speakers? AirPort Extreme/Express?

Essentially I want to buy multiple Bose wifi soundtouch speakers and want to stream my music throughout the house.

Any advice?

Simply get apple app called remote. Run it instead of music when you want multiple outputs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.