Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:11 PM   #1
boiee
macrumors member

What is the likelihood of updated 5th gen iPod this MWSF?

I was wondering what do you guys think of the chances of the 5th generation iPod getting some updates as soon as this January @ the MWSF?

I'm asking this question because of my following situation:

I recently bought a black 60gb 5th generation iPod. I have it right here in my hands - unopened. I bought it BEFORE MWSF because Apple had sent me a coupon, $30 off orders over $300, which expired on December 31st '05. Along with my educational discount, I had to jump on this opportunity because I consider this a GREAT bargain. Now I have it right here in front of me and really want to open it and load all my movies and such. I even ordered my invisible shield, which should be here in 2 days or so.

So my question is: is it OK to open it without Apple updating it right away at MWSF '06? Because if Apple is going to update it, I will keep it unopened and then return it to the Apple store, in hopes that the store would give me the updated version, for the same cheap price I originally got it for.

Thanks for your help! It is greatly appreciated!
boiee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:19 PM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

The 5th generation model hasn't even been on sale for 3 months yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath. The nano at 4 months may stand a slightly better chance of a bump, and a replacement for the shuffle is virtually guaranteed.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:20 PM   #3
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

to the 5th gen? highly unlikely. Shuffle? yes. very likely. Nano? possibly but only because of Shuffle changes. but not neccissarily.

then again no one can predict these things.
PlaceofDis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
5th gen is still a baby man...they got to give it time before they burn it. i think the shuffle might be up next to bat.

Bless
Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:03 PM   #5
freeny
macrumors 68020

IMO, If there is a new 6g pod it would probably be a "videocentric" version and not a music pod. Still highly unlikely but you never know....

C'mon Steve, surprise me
freeny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
EGT
macrumors 68000

My cousin bought the 5th Gen a few days ago and I was playing about with it. It's true, you have to see it with your own eyes to really appreciate its design.

I'd like to upgrade from 4th Gen but I'm just waiting to see if anything will happen, which I'm not expecting, but you never know. Steve is a nut.
EGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 06:27 PM   #7
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
It'd be pretty strange to update the 5G iPods so soon. I wouldn't be blown away to see a capacity bump to 40/80 GB or something, but I really doubt there's going to be any major feature/design changes. If they announce new features for iTunes, they'll release a firmware update for current iPods if necessary like they did when iTunes got Podcasts.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod