Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am Kestrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi everybody: Looking to update my 5 year old router before I buy my first rmbp . Going to buy the AirPort Extreme,but Apple store people said I will need additional wifi set-up.does anybody know what there talking about.

blkhwks55

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
I have a Netgear N600 WNDR3400 V2, and it was very easy to setup. I don't have experience with Apple's though.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Apple store people said I will need additional wifi set-up.does anybody know what there talking about.

I don't have a clue. You will need to tell us a bit more of what they said. I have an Airport Extreme which is a few years old and works great with no "additional wifi set-up".

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Hi everybody: Looking to update my 5 year old router before I buy my first rmbp . Going to buy the AirPort Extreme,but Apple store people said I will need additional wifi set-up.does anybody know what there talking about.

I have used AirPort Extremes for a while, and I have always just plugged it in, connected to the randomly named "Apple Networkxxx" and set it up in AirPort Utility. However, you may look at other routers like an Asus RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U because they are faster than the AirPort Extreme. I you want to stick to the Apple ecosystem, then the AirPort Extreme is a solid router for sure.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Airport Extremes are great and really easy to setup.

No clue what "additional Wi-Fi setup" means. You do have to do a little setup, but it's just pick a name, pick a password etc. I highly recommend the Airport Extremes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.