Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Retina Display?
SSD as standard?
redesign?
new sizes?

can we expect any of these in 2014? can we expect all of these in 2015?

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Retina Display?
SSD as standard?
redesign?
new sizes?

My take:

Retina: Definitely. 4k monitors are blowing up now.
SSD as Standard: Maybe, but more likely Fusion/SSD offerings to taste
Redesign: Maybe - if so I expect it to be slight though.
New Sizes: Probably, related to the retina monitor panel sizes. For example we might see 27 change to 28. But I'd still guess one large and one small.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Retina. I highly doubt we'll see retina screens. I just don't see a need for them for a desktop computer. Everyone thinks they need the latest gimmick, but Apple is usually pretty good about controlling themselves in this regard.

Storage. I think an SSD standard probably isn't going to happen either. The desktop user is a different crowd than iOS and even laptop user. More storage is not only expected, but necessary. Though if they can get the price down on pure SSD drive significantly enough as to offer a 1TB SSD for the same price as the standard 1TB HDD, then it might happen.

Design. Mehhhh, I don't think so. I'll side with Derek on this one. If there is a redesign, it'll probably be slight.

New Sizes. If there is a new size, I think it'll be the replacement of the 21" with a 24" LCD. That being said, I doubt Apple would do that without upping the 27" to 30". Right now, there is a clear line drawn between the two sizes. Most people know they either don't need the 27" or do need it. If you move up to a 24" screen, you blur the line. I suspect they would lose quite a bit of sales of the 27" to the new 24".

What I would like to see, no matter what size screens they offer or whether they are Retina or not, is the removal of the giant black bezel - or as much as possible. A nearly edge-to-edge screen would be nice.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
If there is a physical re-design, my number one hope would be to again have user access for RAM changes on the smaller model.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
A 4K screen isn't double the resolution of a current 27-inch iMac. If you use the MacBook Pro as a reference you'd still have a sub-Retina screen.

But "Retina" doesn't have to mean "double resolution." It just means "no visible pixels at a normal viewing distance."

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
4k monitors are "blowing up" in the media and that's it. There's little to no useful 4k content and it's nothing we're going to see anytime soon.

Unless you're editing video professionally you've got zero need for 4k.

a4est42

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
CA
If I could have designed my own new iMAC

The above suggestion to have better access to self upgrading RAM would have been my wish. The fact that I couldn't later was my reason to go with 16 now.

iydkmigthtky

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
retina - it will come eventually. i'm guessing 2015 at the earliest.
SSD - that's quite possible. they love SSDs. :)
redesign - probably not this year, since the thin design isn't exactly outdated. any way, i think the next redesign will be more significant - they pretty much perfected the current form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.