Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Ok so my best friend purchased an iPad Mini from a pawn shop this weekend. Problem being when he got home he wanted to wipe it, but he can't wipe/restore the device because the find my device feature is enabled. It requires either the AppleID to login or the last computer it was connected to.

He contacted AppleCare and they told him to scan a copy of the receipt and send it to them, which he did, but they said its not the original receipt from the purchase. Which of course its not, he bought it second hand from a pawn shop.

This is a legit purchase not a stolen device. I understand Apple is trying to cut down on stolen devices being re-used and I agree with it, but this is one of those 5% cases where it has a flaw.

My question. Is there any way around this? How can he wipe it and use his information,etc?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok so my best friend purchased an iPad Mini from a pawn shop this weekend. Problem being when he got home he wanted to wipe it, but he can't wipe/restore the device because the find my device feature is enabled. It requires either the AppleID to login or the last computer it was connected to.

He contacted AppleCare and they told him to scan a copy of the receipt and send it to them, which he did, but they said its not the original receipt from the purchase. Which of course its not, he bought it second hand from a pawn shop.

This is a legit purchase not a stolen device. I understand Apple is trying to cut down on stolen devices being re-used and I agree with it, but this is one of those 5% cases where it has a flaw.

My question. Is there any way around this? How can he wipe it and use his information,etc?

Just because your friend bought it at a pawn shop doesn't mean it's not stolen. Whoever sold it to the pawn shop could very well have stolen it. There is nothing that can be done. Unless he can contact the original owner, he's got an expensive paperweight.

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Go back to the pawn shop and tell them they sold him a stolen item.

So how do you know its stolen? Or should I say why do you ASSUME? Just because the previous person who sold it to the pawnshop didn't know to turn that feature off, you assume its stolen?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So how do you know its stolen? Or should I say why do you ASSUME? Just because the previous person who sold it to the pawnshop didn't know to turn that feature off, you assume its stolen?

It doesn't matter. Point is, there's no way to prove either way, therefore Apple legally will not do anything. Unless you can get I contact with the original owner, there is nothing that can be done. Only shot is to go to the pawnshop and see if they can contact the person that sold it there, or get a refund.

But I will tell you, anyone legitimately selling an iPad will probably not sell it at a pawnshop. Almost guaranteed to be the least amount of money they could get for it anywhere.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Don't assume it's stolen. What he or you, needs to do is go back to the pawn shop and basically say, the device is locked. You called Apple they can't help because they don't know if the device was stolen and they need the original receipt to prove otherwise so your friend purchased a paperweight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.