Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So, I have never played any fantasy sport of any kind and have no idea how they work (I know, I'm probably a pathetic loser :p), but I'd like to join. Is there a Fantasy Baseball for Dummies or something I can read to figure out how this works?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The first game of the season is March 22 in Australia, so if we want to count that game we need to have a draft by March 20.

----------

So, I have never played any fantasy sport of any kind and have no idea how they work (I know, I'm probably a pathetic loser :p), but I'd like to join. Is there a Fantasy Baseball for Dummies or something I can read to figure out how this works?
Every league is different and can be played different ways. We have done a head to head format, where you rack up points per week. Much like how we have played Fantasy Football.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have 2 more spots left for a 8 team league. If we need we can raise it to 10. I don't want to go above that tho. Still waiting to hear back from some of last years players.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Just pick random players based on how cool their names sound. Worked alright for me last season. :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have changed some scoring rules and rosters since last season. We will have 2 DL spots and 2 Relief Pitchers. I have added 1 extra bench player totaling 6.

Errors will now count against a player with a 1 point deduction. Pitchers will now get extra credit for no hitters and perfect games, but lose points for hit batters, home runs allowed, and walks. They will gain points for pick offs and lose a point for wild pitches.

Runners will lose points for caught stealing and gained for stolen bases.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
One spot left for our 8 team league. If there is still interest I will push it to 10 teams.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
We now have 8 slots filled, if no more want to join we can set a draft date.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Is there any consensus on a draft date, either next weekend 8/9 or the following weekend 15/16.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Is there any consensus on a draft date, either next weekend 8/9 or the following weekend 15/16.
Next Sunday won't be a goer for me but 15/16 should be okay. 8th should be fine.

That said, I'm obviously in a different time zone - previous years the draft has taken place in the afternoon US time, meaning an evening start for me. If this isn't convenient for folk though and the draft ends up at a time I can't manage I'll set up the site to take my picks for me.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Next Sunday won't be a goer for me but 15/16 should be okay. 8th should be fine.

That said, I'm obviously in a different time zone - previous years the draft has taken place in the afternoon US time, meaning an evening start for me. If this isn't convenient for folk though and the draft ends up at a time I can't manage I'll set up the site to take my picks for me.
The 16th might become a problem for those college basketball fans as brackets are announced that day. WE might also be able to do a Friday night or midweek sometime. Indeed we need to work with those across the pond so that they can be awake. :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If there are no objections I will set a draft date for Saturday, March 15, at 3 pm eastern time.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
We now have one spot open and a draft Saturday! Anyone want to play. PM me.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Gotcha. Will it only let us do it with even teams? You can boot me if you need to, I think I was a last minute add. I've never played fantasy baseball, so I will probably also suck.
We could adjust the rules to draft with 7.

Ok we should be good to go now. We will not go head to head as we did in years past, but go total points for the season. The most points wins.

----------

The draft is open! we start in 1 hour.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.