Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8Apples

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
Ok, I'm specifically talking about the address book on my Mac (MacBook Pro). I accidentally deleted a group in the address book. I have TM hooked up, and a good backup. I opened Address Book, and then entered TM. I selected the group, and clicked, "Restore". It brought be back, and restored all 56 addresses that were in the group (I overwrought them with the new ones), and yet, no new group???!!!??? So the group still remains deleted. So that was futile. I'm fine with restoring my entire address book if necessary. I'm again disappointed at what is supposed to be very simple restore process of TM. Please tell me I overlooked something, and it this is a very simple process. I just want my group back.

Thanks in Advance.
8Apples

8Apples

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
As yet a further step I took. I opened Library/Application Support/ and then went into TM. I restored the Address Book folder, and it worked great! For a moment, and then the group disappeared right before my very eyes! I'm not happy about that, and don't understand what is going on! It is kind of frustrating. I would really appreciate any help with this.

8Apples

8Apples

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
Ok, here is the problem. It seems to be icloud and sync or something of that nature. I disconnected my computer from the web. I again restored the Address Book folder. This time when I opened my Address Book, the group didn't disappear. I exported the address book as a abbu file. Connected to the web, and as I suspected, after about 20 seconds, the group disappeared. I imported the abbu file, and it came back. But again after about 20 seconds, it disappeared! So, I'm going to have to 'manually recreate' this group. This is extremely disappointing. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or expected behavior. I'm not even sure where to report a bug. This is a big problem though.

8Apples

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i have osx10.7.5 on an old 2.4ghz duo core

after a network glitch i found my Address Book app damaged. It would run but unable to do searches. Other odd things too that make it un usable. My other mac computers; their address book app worked as expected.

my easy fix:
-with the Address book not running open system preferences -> iCoud settings
turn off the address book and accept the new iCloud settings. re assert the iCloud settings, it will ask if you want to delete the local address book copy. Do this. open the address book app and let it update off the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.