Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
I have both the first generation iPad mini (64 gb) and a Nexus 7 (16 gb) 2013 edition.

I recently got the mini for $250 and am comparing them side by side. This is mainly for school books, PDFs, and power points. I am not sure which I should keep.

Anyone have advice?

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
I am liking both, there are some pros and cons with each that I notice for myself - personal issues really with both. This is my first tablet.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
I am sure that it is easier for you to get PDFs/PowerPoints on and off with the Nexus?

With the iPad, you need to use something like Dropbox (or at least go through iTunes)?

I used my iPad Mini for the same thing when I was in school (used cloud services like Google Drive and Dropbox). 7-inches was just slightly too small for my liking. 8-inches was just perfect.

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Yes, however the scrolling lag issue and power points not showing up properly have been an issue for me on my Nexus, and the downside of the iPad (imo) is the screen [resolution] and the memory.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Does the iPad Mini work well for textbooks? Was concerned that it might be too small and was considering the Air as a result but would go Mini if it does handle them well.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Yes, however the scrolling lag issue and power points not showing up properly have been an issue for me on my Nexus, and the downside of the iPad (imo) is the screen [resolution] and the memory.

Hmmm, laggy performance and Power Points that don't work VS. lower screen res and (64gb) memory... The answer is simple, sell the iPad! /s

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

The scrolling lag isn't going to improve. Android executes most of its code in a virtual machine - VM's are inherently slower than native execution. Whereas iOS executes its code natively. This is one of the reasons that Android will never be as fast or as smooth as iOS.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've always preferred the accessibility of PDF's on Android but preferred the viewing (screen ratio) of them on an iPad.

It's a tough call. But if you are experiencing slow downs and things not showing up on the Nexus I'd say the choice is pretty easy.

Most web viewing issues should be fixed with iOS 7.1. If that has ever been an issue for you.

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
I've always preferred the accessibility of PDF's on Android but preferred the viewing (screen ratio) of them on an iPad.

It's a tough call. But if you are experiencing slow downs and things not showing up on the Nexus I'd say the choice is pretty easy.

Most web viewing issues should be fixed with iOS 7.1. If that has ever been an issue for you.

It's not really not showing or slowing down (some text on BOTH the iPad and the Nexus don't show - so I think it is the power point itself.)

For PDFs on the Nexus, I found a very nice reader for it, but yet to find a power point reader that is smooth (so I don't need to convert the ppt to pdf) vs the smooth iPad - but I haven't found a nice offline option for power points on the iPad.

Cooee!

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2014
If you're planning to invest on the apple ecosystem in the future, then the ipad mini is a good start.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's not really not showing or slowing down (some text on BOTH the iPad and the Nexus don't show - so I think it is the power point itself.)

For PDFs on the Nexus, I found a very nice reader for it, but yet to find a power point reader that is smooth (so I don't need to convert the ppt to pdf) vs the smooth iPad - but I haven't found a nice offline option for power points on the iPad.

To be honest I was in a similar situation once pertaining to mostly PDF files.

I went with Android because I'd need to email multiple PDF files in a single email. Android made it easy and it's not really possible to email more then one PDF at a time on iOS. This was years ago but I believe it's still the case even today.

I used an iPad for web browsing and such and an Android tablet for work. Now with iOS 7 on newer iPads even web browsing is unstable. Apple, particularly iOS devices really lost their charm and overall usefulness for me.

I still use an iPhone. But even that I've been toying with switching to Android for a device that can keep up with my work flow. I've spent too much time waiting for the next iOS devices and versions of iOS....

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I went with Android because I'd need to email multiple PDF files in a single email. Android made it easy and it's not really possible to email more then one PDF at a time on iOS. This was years ago but I believe it's still the case even today.

Goodreader allows that.

I've used goodreader for years now and I'm certain being able to select multiple files and email them isn't new..

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
To be honest I was in a similar situation once pertaining to mostly PDF files.

I used an iPad for web browsing and such and an Android tablet for work. Now with iOS 7 on newer iPads even web browsing is unstable. Apple, particularly iOS devices really lost their charm and overall usefulness for me.

I still use an iPhone. But even that I've been toying with switching to Android for a device that can keep up with my work flow. I've spent too much time waiting for the next iOS devices and versions of iOS....

It's not unstable for me, really I guess my gripe with the iPad is its display.
I'm in a similar position as you though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.