Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Surprised to see no one here on posting about it!? Anyone get lucky enough to play it!

I was recording with shadowplay (previously using OBS) and man it makes a difference.

GAMEPLAY

paularas

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
so you played it via bootcamp on macbook air? with what resolution? settings / performance ?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Surprised to see no one here on posting about it!? Anyone get lucky enough to play it!

Been playing it on my xbox one. Thread in console section ;)

Pros...
My thoughts, it's a lot of fun, seems very balanced for the part and eases new users in very well. There are some great ideas like the burn cards.

Negs..
The game however aesthetically (level design, lack of destructability and a feeling of an actual living world with angel city feeling like a shipping container storage facility rather than a once thriving city... It all looks very 2008/2009

Also a few of the weapons and tactical ability / perks that unlock feel a bit useless (stim, sniper rifle, electric smoke) and just don't work particularly well in the beta and feel they gimp the player rather than enhance and offer a different way to play.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Played it at the weekend, it's so much fun. I like that you're not completely powerless if you're not in a Titan - I've been playing Battlefield 4 lately, and it's annoying getting so completely outgunned by vehicles, but in Titanfall the mechs are like a temporary perk. Riding on top of somebody else's Titan is pretty cool too.

I found the framerate to be really stuttery at first, even in the tutorial. I read somewhere that disabling vsync in the game and forcing it from the Nvidia control panel makes it smoother, and that does indeed work. So don't use the in-game vsync if you have an Nvidia GPU.

Also, I heard the beta is open now - you don't have to get a code, it should be available in Origin.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I know there is a thread in the consoles sub-forum... but I thinks this is the right spot for Mac and PC gamers.

I've (actually my kid) been playing it since Friday when I received my beta code in the email. We are playing the PC version (rig specs/pics in sig). Titanfall is over hyped, but the game is refreshingly fun. Players are getting better since the beta release, but I still think newcomers will still have fun jumping in on the game... unlike BF4. After playing this game for a while... BF4 is sometimes annoying... but some games on BF4 are still fun.

Pros for me is that it supports tri-monitor nvidia surround setups, and gives you graphics options to optimize it to your PC's specs. It supports 1080p, and mine automatically set the default resolution to 5760x1080 for widescreen play. Runs smooth for me with vsync on... but I usually turn vsync off on most of the games I play.

Some people don't like the bots, but I don't mind it. Makes it challenging to find the real online players... which you can tell most of the time because they are running, jumping, on walls, roof tops... but bots are usually on their knees or stationary.

Cons for me is that HUD is missing the map and character animations on tri-monitor setups. The maps are small, and gamplay is fast.. so the I don't miss the map, and I still hear the voices of the characters so the character animation is not a big loss.

Seems like the biggest complaint by players are the graphics. I think it looks fine... just as long as gameplay is fun. Because of the graphics, some don't think the game is worth the price tag. It would be nice to have a single player campaign included for the $59.99 price... but I'm still buying it because my kid and I enjoy playing the game.

I think people should try the beta first to see if they like it. For some the price is worth it because of the fun factor, but for others who are expecting awesome graphics... might feel it's overpriced for dated graphics. As for me... I think it looks fine just as long as it plays smooth and fun.

Screenshot from my kids game last night (click for full size):

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Looks great on three monitors - reminds me of Steel Battalion on the Xbox. Shame the textures on the cockpit are a bit blurry, but I guess that's not where you're focusing your attention.

You can get it for a lot cheaper than $60. Origin keys work worldwide - I got BF3 from somewhere cheap (Russia, I think) and a lot of people recommend using a proxy to connect to the Mexican Origin store. Less than $40 on there. http://pastebin.com/Fj3xNmVA

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
Looks great on three monitors - reminds me of Steel Battalion on the Xbox. Shame the textures on the cockpit are a bit blurry, but I guess that's not where you're focusing your attention.

You can get it for a lot cheaper than $60. Origin keys work worldwide - I got BF3 from somewhere cheap (Russia, I think) and a lot of people recommend using a proxy to connect to the Mexican Origin store. Less than $40 on there. http://pastebin.com/Fj3xNmVA

check mmoga

STIGUY

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Signed up just to reply to this previous post.

The Titanfall beta does not support integrated graphics at this time on Mac or PC. You will get lots of texture errors and banding, weapons will be invisible as well as other players and other graphical errors that make the game pretty much unplayable.

The game does run rather smoothly because its not showing anything else except the map so hopefully it will be updated with proper drivers for the final release to support integrated graphics because it should technically run the game at low/medium settings if optimized properly.

I tested this on a late 2013 rMBP with 8GB RAM.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Signed up just to reply to this previous post.

The Titanfall beta does not support integrated graphics at this time on Mac or PC. You will get lots of texture errors and banding, weapons will be invisible as well as other players and other graphical errors that make the game pretty much unplayable.

The game does run rather smoothly because its not showing anything else except the map so hopefully it will be updated with proper drivers for the final release to support integrated graphics because it should technically run the game at low/medium settings if optimized properly.

I tested this on a late 2013 rMBP with 8GB RAM.
Ahhh. Thanks for sharing! Saves me the trouble of going through all that. Maybe they'll update before the final release. If so, what specifically should I look for? Just that it supports integrated graphics?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I just ordered it from the Mexican store, if anyone's curious about whether that method actually works. The game has appeared in my Origin library as normal, and it cost 499 pesos, which is a lot cheaper than you'll find it anywhere else. Payment was via paypal, so there's no need to enter credit card details over some dubious vpn.

STIGUY

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Just wanted to update my post from earlier

Intel has updated their intel iris drivers to support titanfall and thief

I have tested it on a 13 inch 2013 rMBP with Intel iris 5100 so it should be able to run titanfall

Performance on Thief is also playable now on low settings I haven't tested Titanfall yet because I am waiting for someone else to do it before I spend 50 dollars on the game to ensure its playable on my machine

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23644

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.