Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eselle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
So I've recently upgraded to Mavericks OSX 10.9.1, and have been having several issues with my MBA lately:
1) blue screen of death - had to head to Genius Bar for that
2) greeted by a gray screen and folder with a question mark a few days ago - had to reboot it a few times
3) frozen starting page - had to reboot

I'm not sure if my MBA is just fizzing out on its lifespan, or if there may be hardware issues, as I've just discovered that the in-built camera is failing to work.

Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

eselle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
These issues showed up ONLY after upgrading the O/S?

Please pardon me - the first point actually happened before Mavericks update. The rest and other concurrent issues appeared after the update and at a noticeably higher frequency.

Just today my Mac failed to start up after waking from sleep mode, and I had to reboot it, only to be met by a gray screen of nothingness, which warranted another reboot before finally starting up as per normal. The in-built camera is still "not connected".

My Mac just seems to be functioning in a less-than-smooth way as per normal. I am not sure if it is due to the OSX update or something else.

Cheers for your response.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Ok - what was the result of your trip to the Genius Bar? Were diagnostics run on your system? Do you have a full backup of your data?

eselle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Ok - what was the result of your trip to the Genius Bar? Were diagnostics run on your system? Do you have a full backup of your data?

Yes, I've backed up my Mac on my external hard drive. They said that it was a software issue, and suggested I let my Mac shut down from time to time (because I usually only put it to sleep) and to upgrade to Mavericks OS. They ran a test of sorts to determine whether it was a hardware or software issue, I think (sorry, I don't remember the specifics).

However, each time I open my Mac now, it does not wake from sleep. I have to simply reboot it every single time.

I am aware of this article and it sounds promising https://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/18/sleep-wake-crash-macbook-air/ - but, I am wondering if this will apply to mid-2012 models too such as mine.

Any ideas regarding the undetectability of the in-built camera?

Thanks heaps for your input, sir!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Try holding D at start up. It will fire up a globe called "Internet Recovery". Connect to your wireless or use an Ethernet adapter and run the test. This a very dirty diagnostic and doesn't catch many problems but if something is really obvious it will show. I run it on my MacBook every once in a while.

eselle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Try holding D at start up. It will fire up a globe called "Internet Recovery". Connect to your wireless or use an Ethernet adapter and run the test. This a very dirty diagnostic and doesn't catch many problems but if something is really obvious it will show. I run it on my MacBook every once in a while.

Ah yes, I think this might've been a tip given by the guy at Genius Bar. Thank you, I may try it out. Cheers for the response!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Ah yes, I think this might've been a tip given by the guy at Genius Bar. Thank you, I may try it out. Cheers for the response!

No problem. I would run the faster diagnostic first. Then do the extended diagnostic. If something comes back in the first one (short diagnostic) then you know something is really awry. Needless to say, sounds like the RAM or main Logic Board is going. It could also be a really corrupt OS X Install or failing SSD.

Check this out as this may be of use to you!

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.