Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 4, 2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Spectrum
macrumors 6502a

iPod Shuffle dead?

Well, I'd just copied a file over to my Shuffle, ejected it, unplugged it, and now it isn't recognised by either of two computers. It just flashes amber when I plug it in.

I launched iPod updater, and it tells me to plug in an iPod - but I do and it doesn't recognise I have.

However: In system profiler it does recognise that i have plugged iPod into the hi-speed USB.

I often have recogniton/eject problems with the thing (why is the Shuffle so bad for this? - because of FAT32?), but none so terminal as this.

Any ideas? I mostly just use this thing as a flash drive. Now it's jiggered it seems.
Spectrum is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
EricNau

Do you have any Music on it that you could play through the headphones?

Does iTunes recognize it?
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 08:16 PM   #3
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum
Well, I'd just copied a file over to my Shuffle, ejected it, unplugged it, and now it isn't recognised by either of two computers. It just flashes amber when I plug it in.

I launched iPod updater, and it tells me to plug in an iPod - but I do and it doesn't recognise I have.

However: In system profiler it does recognise that i have plugged iPod into the hi-speed USB.

I often have recogniton/eject problems with the thing (why is the Shuffle so bad for this? - because of FAT32?), but none so terminal as this.

Any ideas? I mostly just use this thing as a flash drive. Now it's jiggered it seems.
Have you tried resetting it? That might kick it back into action.

If not only a few more days until the new ones are (possibly) released..............
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Spectrum
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau
Do you have any Music on it that you could play through the headphones?
Yes, but it won't play - flashes alternately green/amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau
Does iTunes recognize it?
Nope. It just flashes Amber when I plug it in. But system profiler does detect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy
Have you tried resetting it? That might kick it back into action.
That is basically just turning it OFF, then on again. This doesn't work. I think I need to RESTORE it, but this seems impossible if the comp does not detect it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy
If not only a few more days until the new ones are (possibly) released..............
Thanks for the help, but that's not much of a solution! Things should not be built so flaky that you have to replace them to resolve an issue.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:37 AM   #5
rjphoto
macrumors 6502a

Try this page

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302110

It has a few more suggestions than just turning it off and back on.

Also, you may wnat to try and reboot the computer while it is plugged in just for kicks...works for some of my firewire drives.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:39 PM   #6
weckart
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum
Yes, but it won't play - flashes alternately green/amber

Nope. It just flashes Amber when I plug it in. But system profiler does detect it.
Uh oh. Dead. Your Shuffle is deader than a dead thing that's dead. I had the same symptoms with mine. If your computer won't even recognise the hardware then no amount of resetting will help. Shuffles tend to die suddenly, I found out whilst trawling the internet for help. They are truly Apple's answer to the Tamagotchis. Feed them with bad music and they show their appreciation by expiring.

Take it back to the shop you bought it from. They should replace it.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Spectrum
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjphoto
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302110

It has a few more suggestions than just turning it off and back on.

Also, you may wnat to try and reboot the computer while it is plugged in just for kicks...works for some of my firewire drives.
tried and failed. But thanks :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart
Uh oh. Dead. Your Shuffle is deader than a dead thing that's dead. I had the same symptoms with mine. If your computer won't even recognise the hardware then no amount of resetting will help. Shuffles tend to die suddenly, I found out whilst trawling the internet for help. They are truly Apple's answer to the Tamagotchis. Feed them with bad music and they show their appreciation by expiring.

Take it back to the shop you bought it from. They should replace it.
Yep. Looks like that's where I'm at. Tried it in an XP machine. It recognises it, says it is working perfectly, also verified and repaired any errors fine, even formatted without an error.

Unfortunately it reads the capacity as exactly: 0 bytes.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:53 PM   #8
cgratti
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to cgratti
Same thing happened to my shuffle, its dead. I sent mine in to apple and they sent me a brand new one....

Call Apple

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod