Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Hi all,

I've been working on getting some of the build-up off of my SSD and am having trouble finding a large portion labeled as a "Backup". A bit strange since I tie all of my backups into my 2GB external. Would anyone have any great ideas as to where to find this, along with what all makes up "Other".

All help is appreciated!

rh3b7m.png

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
It's probably Time Machine local storage. There was a thread here the other day about how to switch it off. You'll have to search for it. If it's not TM, no idea.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
It's probably Time Machine local storage. There was a thread here the other day about how to switch it off. You'll have to search for it. If it's not TM, no idea.

EDIT: Went into System Preferences and turned Time Machine "OFF", local backups have gone away. Nailed down the first one, thank you Tumbleweed.

Now onto the "Other" catagory.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
EDIT: Went into System Preferences and turned Time Machine "OFF", local backups have gone away. Nailed down the first one, thank you Tumbleweed.

Here is an article from Apple that explains how that Backups space works. Like you discovered, you can zero it out by turning TM off then back on.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Just figured I would post this as well. Another tool I came across today that helped me identify easily the areas of largest 'consumption'.

Disk Inventory X

ohk16o.png

Hope this helps someone else if they have the same problem! Thank you for your help -

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.

That's not really the answer though unless you don't want to use TM at all, I'd presume you'd want TM on an external disk but not internal? In which case the link by weaselboy explains how to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.