Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohenriquez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Dear Members

I would like to know whether this model can be used in USA, Southamerica and New Zealand. It will be unlocked brand new in box

I spoke with the seller (reputable power seller eBay) who stated that the phone will work everywhere

I would like to know whether this is the case

The listing states:

Brand Apple
Family Line Apple iPhone
Model 5s
SIM Lock Unlocked
MPN ME439B/A
EAN 885909782796
Type Smartphone

Key Features
Storage Capacity 64 GB
Colour Silver
Network Technology GSM / EDGE / UMTS / HSPA+ / DC-HSDPA / LTE
Band GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900; UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100; LTE 1/2/3/5/7/8/20
Style Smartphone
Operating System Apple iOS
Camera 8 Megapixel

Your help will be appreciated

Thanks

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
I went to Africa with my iPhone and it worked were there was coverage. just call your carrier and turn on international. They tried to rake me over the coals though when I got my bill. make sure all the settings are correct on the carriers side before you call.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I would like to know whether this model can be used in USA, Southamerica and New Zealand. It will be unlocked brand new in box

I spoke with the seller (reputable power seller eBay) who stated that the phone will work everywhere

I would like to know whether this is the case

The short answer: 3G on this phone including HSPA+ will work worldwide, including the places you mention.

Slightly longer: LTE may not work in all areas, however, due to the fact that LTE frequencies are not nearly as standardized worldwide, and at the time the 5S was designed, "global" LTE chipsets were not available in the size and power consumption that would work in the 5S physical design.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
if I remember right I think I turned on data roaming too. I used data only calling when I could. I think? Two years ago. But it was pretty cool to be talking to my wife at (or near at) the top of mt Kilimanjaro in Africa on my iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.