Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
When the 13" rMBP was released in October 2012, I sold my mid-2010 27" iMac in exchange for the Retina screen and portability the rMBP provided. Since that time, I've added an iPad Air to the mix which is capable of handling my portable computing needs, so now I'm stuck with a small 13" screen to use at my desk. I want to go back to an iMac but worried now is not the right time for the following reasons. Interested in your thoughts on the 2 concerns holding me back.:eek:

1.) A 4K/Retina iMac is likely just around the corner (and I'll want it) so buying a Haswell iMac today is setting myself up for disappointment sooner rather than later

2.) After being in an all-Retina environment for the past year and a half, going back to a non-Retina iMac won't be worth the cost to get one despite the larger screen and added horsepower.

What would you do?

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
When the 13" rMBP was released in October 2012, I sold my mid-2010 27" iMac in exchange for the Retina screen and portability the rMBP provided. Since that time, I've added an iPad Air to the mix which is capable of handling my portable computing needs, so now I'm stuck with a small 13" screen to use at my desk. I want to go back to an iMac but worried now is not the right time for the following reasons. Interested in your thoughts on the 2 concerns holding me back.:eek:

1.) A 4K/Retina iMac is likely just around the corner (and I'll want it) so buying a Haswell iMac today is setting myself up for disappointment sooner rather than later

2.) After being in an all-Retina environment for the past year and a half, going back to a non-Retina iMac won't be worth the cost to get one despite the larger screen and added horsepower.

What would you do?

I had the same contemplation. If it was a matter of waiting a few months for those things I would easily have done it. But I think you will be waiting a couple of years. I don't know maybe. They already tricked out the form factor. Already tricked out the guts. Unless they remake the looks there is not much more to do but the retina. So maybe. But reading like threads others seem to think this is a couple years off.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I had the same contemplation. If it was a matter of waiting a few months for those things I would easily have done it. But I think you will be waiting a couple of years. I don't know maybe. They already tricked out the form factor. Already tricked out the guts. Unless they remake the looks there is not much more to do but the retina. So maybe. But reading like threads others seem to think this is a couple years off.

Well, with the influx of 4K displays on the market, I'd be surprised if Apple didn't join the party in the next 12 months. They are usually at the forefront of display resolution, so even if they had to start out at higher price points for 4K, I think they will do it. That said, even if they did come out with a 4K iMac in the $2,250-$2,500 range later this year or next, I probably couldn't stomach spending that much anyway, so that works in the favor of pulling the trigger now.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Buy a decent 27" monitor for now to use with your rMBP. When 4k is viable, an right now it's not for many people, then decide. In the mean time you will have the extra screen space when at home, and portability when you are not. If you get something that uses display port then you can connect this to your iMac if you decide to get one later and have two nice big screens.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I can't find any reason to worry about 4k at this point, outside of the displays being available.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Buy a decent 27" monitor for now to use with your rMBP. When 4k is viable, an right now it's not for many people, then decide. In the mean time you will have the extra screen space when at home, and portability when you are not. If you get something that uses display port then you can connect this to your iMac if you decide to get one later and have two nice big screens.

For about the same price, I can sell the rMBP and get the 27" iMac, so would prefer to go that route. As mentioned, the iPad is sufficient for my needs when I need portability.

How about the Retina issue. Has anyone gone from a Retina MacBook Pro to an iMac...or use a Thunderbolt Display with a rMBP and is ok with the lower pixel density in exchange for screen space?

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
I would buy an external display and hook the rMBP up to it. You can buy a pretty good IPS display for less than $200 these days.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I would buy an external display and hook the rMBP up to it. You can buy a pretty good IPS display for less than $200 these days.

Not a 27" display at 2560x1440 resolution with a Thunderbolt dock, speakers, and an integrated webcam. That runs $800+. Also, I'm only considering Apple branded products for the sake of this discussion.:):apple: I have little interest in mismatching brands on the desk. Not into the creaky plastic alternatives.

I can probably sell my 13" rMBP with 2 years remaining on AppleCare for $1,000-$1,100. Then it comes down to paying the net difference between a 21.5" vs 27". With a corporate discount and no sales tax in New Hampshire, I'd be looking at a net cost of $409 for a 21.5" or $879 for a 27"...both base models + a Fusion Drive.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
1. Who actually uses the webcam enough to make it a deciding factor.

2. The speakers in the iMac/Cinema Display are mediocre at best.

3. Buying Apple means you have limited choices and a glossy display is mandatory...unfortunately.

I can see where this is going so just come out and say it; you are interested in paying more for the Apple logo than getting value. Therefore, no answer is going to help you and this thread is moot. You have already talked yourself into buying the iMac even though you know you are going to regret it as soon as it gets the display update.

By the way, Apple displays aren't any better than other good displays on the market. They all come from the same manufacturers.

I have owned an iMac for the past 3 years, and while it served me well, I got sick of the limited upgrade options, limited variance in choice from Apple, and being tied to my desk.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
If you want an iMac I would say go for it now as with the haswell refresh its a beast of a machine, I would defiantly go for it 4K isn't huge at the moment anyway and surely you could just buy a 4K TBD to go with the iMac in the future anyway. Sell your MBP and go for it I say!

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

What would you do?

Get a retina 27" screen?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn

I agree...been looking at a asus mx239h (200 amazon) not sure if the best,but oh so nice looking.

MX239H.jpg

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
I agree...been looking at a asus mx239h (200 amazon) not sure if the best,but oh so nice looking.

There are a lot of 23" monitors on the market that look similar. Take a look at the AOC i2367fh. You can buy that display for $149 from Amazon, it has a beautiful AH-IPS display, had different stand options (regular stand or picture frame without the stand), and looks very nice.

You can find the i2367f for even less right now at best buy. This model doesn't have HDMI inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009V8F700

Check out the following link. You can see how beautiful the display looks. Although, it looks even better in person.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwc_sYgRf-8

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
IMO iMac will never get a 4K display screen, not at least before 2 years or so.

The mobile Graphic card is too weak to drive anything at 1440p.

Even with the GTX780/880/980, there isn't really enough juice to run apps at native resolution @ 60FPS with 4K displays.

Best bet would be Apple releasing 4K external monitors using TB2.

Other than that, you're wasting your hopes.

Cheers.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
There are a lot of 23" monitors on the market that look similar. Take a look at the AOC i2367fh. You can buy that display for $149 from Amazon, it has a beautiful AH-IPS display, had different stand options (regular stand or picture frame without the stand), and looks very nice.

You can find the i2367f for even less right now at best buy. This model doesn't have HDMI inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009V8F700

Check out the following link. You can see how beautiful the display looks. Although, it looks even better in person.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwc_sYgRf-8

I own one, it looks great but unfortunately the stand is kinda wobbly. The display itself isn't going to fall over or anything, but any bump of the desk puts the monitor bouncing.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
I own one, it looks great but unfortunately the stand is kinda wobbly. The display itself isn't going to fall over or anything, but any bump of the desk puts the monitor bouncing.

It's sturdier without the stand.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

What would you do?

I do not own an iMac but I can tell you from experience at browsing at the Apple Store that the Retina display is beautiful. However, the iMac has a gorgeous screen, especially on the 27" model.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

What would you do?

For the past 2 years, the trend is for iMacs to be released at the END of the year, just barely in time for the Christmas season. It's only February right now. If you can wait until November/December, then that would be the best option.

And if you can't wait… then obviously you're going to get whatever is available now.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I can see where this is going so just come out and say it; you are interested in paying more for the Apple logo than getting value.

You do realize this is MacRumors.com and my post was specifically about purchasing or not purchasing an Apple iMac.

Don't want to stare at an ASUS or Dell logo when using OS X. Just not for me, regardless of price.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW - Went into an Apple Store today. I don't think the 21.5" is worth the hassle of selling the rMBP and eating more money. It's nice, but not awe inspiring like that 27".

Even coming from the Retina screen of the MBP, 2560x1440 is plenty crisp enough and provides screen real estate galore.:D:apple:

Ughhh...now I just have to figure out how to explain the expense to my wife. We'll see.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
BTW - Went into an Apple Store today. I don't think the 21.5" is worth the hassle of selling the rMBP and eating more money. It's nice, but not awe inspiring like that 27".

Even coming from the Retina screen of the MBP, 2560x1440 is plenty crisp enough and provides screen real estate galore.:D:apple:

Ughhh...now I just have to figure out how to explain the expense to my wife. We'll see.

The 21.5 and 27 have almost identical PPI (102 vs 109). I am not sure why the 27 would be any more "crisp" than the 21.5. Your mind is lying to your eyes. Apple loves it but your wallet hates it.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013

What would you do?

The 4K iMac would probably be 31/5" or 32" which is the size of most small TV's, and then the new Macintosh TV is born.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
It's sturdier without the stand.

So just off the stand it stays up by itself? Never tried, but that would unfortunately put it several inches too low to be comfortable.

Might be worth trying though, the display itself looks great. Really wish it was a VESA mount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.