Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Hi everyone!

I had this monitor and my friends were over when we were screwing around with a C02 canister and it hit my screen and jacked it all up. I'm pretty much stuck not knowing what to do, I know that it has the standard 3 year warranty (only bought back in October) and I have no clue if there is accidental warranty protection.

Anyone have an idea to what I can do? I can't find a new screen on ebay or trying to find the parts number is a pain. Should I call up dell and be honest and see if they will swap it, or will I be screwed? One other thing to note is since then it has issues actually showing a picture, like it stays in energy saver mode and doesn't see an input.

Attachments

• 1938003_771293692883936_678141853_n.jpg
    1938003_771293692883936_678141853_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 183

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi everyone!

I had this monitor and my friends were over when we were screwing around with a C02 canister and it hit my screen and jacked it all up. I'm pretty much stuck not knowing what to do, I know that it has the standard 3 year warranty (only bought back in October) and I have no clue if there is accidental warranty protection.

Anyone have an idea to what I can do? I can't find a new screen on ebay or trying to find the parts number is a pain. Should I call up dell and be honest and see if they will swap it, or will I be screwed? One other thing to note is since then it has issues actually showing a picture, like it stays in energy saver mode and doesn't see an input.

You are screwed. Sorry. If the screen doesn't show a picture all the time then most likely it isn't just the panel that is damaged. Most likely the board inside is damaged.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It won't hurt anything to call Dell tech support, tell them you have a cracked screen, and ask if there is a solution. Dell might have an advance replacement program of some kind, where you can pay for a swap to a good display, or perhaps pay for a replacement LCD panel. The display panel is, unfortunately, most of the value in any display, but Dell may have a solution. I can't guess how much that might cost - or if Dell even offers anything - You won't know until you ask!
I might go for it if the cost was less than the cost of a new display - say under $400.
In that possibility, maybe you can get your "play partners" to help out with the repair/replacement. :D (just sayin'…)

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
Sorry I'm 16 and don't have a workshop :( Closest to that is my bedroom!

And... my dad does his welding business in the garage so that is a no-go as well!

Hahaha, well most you can do is save up and get a new one.

In a couple years you and your friends are going to tell this story at parties.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Sorry I'm 16 and don't have a workshop :( Closest to that is my bedroom!

And... my dad does his welding business in the garage so that is a no-go as well!

Ummm maybe you missed the most important lesson: compressed air is not something to mess with ANYWHERE! You are lucky it hit your monitor and not an eye or other fragile body parts on you or someone else.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.