Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Apple TV connected to iMac mid 2010 via "Internet sharing" (no wireless modem) TV/Vimeo etc works fine but Home Sharing wont connect and AirParrot doesn't see Apple TV, is normal? I realise Airplay wont work with this model iMac.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
AirPlay most def works. It's the Mirroring that won't.
Are all your devices on the same subnet?
What IP addresses do they get?

luckstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Thank you priitv8, yes its the mirroring I'm trying to set up. Sorry I'm not technical enough to check subnets etc? To clarify I have no wireless modem, the connection is via "Internet sharing" on 2010 iMac, this is what we use as a network for iphones, laptops etc.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
So, I'd start with checking the IP addresses all your devices get.
You'd want to make sure, they all share the same numbers in the leftmost places. Like eg. 10.0 or 172.16 or 192.168
If anyone is different, it means it's on a different subnet.
If anyone has IP address that starts with 169.254, it means the device has self-assigned IP address and might have problems connecting.

luckstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Thanks - spoke to Apple and looks like "Internet sharing" (WiFi from iMac) doesn't work for Home Sharing or Airplay. Need to get a wireless router or connect with ethernet cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.