Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Bringing iTunes Festival to U.S. at SXSW 2014

Apple announced today that it is expanding its iTunes Festival to the US for the first time. Five shows will be held from March 11-15 during the Austin City Limits Live event at the Moody Theater in Austin, Texas. The shows will serve as a part of the film and music-focused South by Southwest (SXSW) festivals which will be held in Austin from March 7-16, 2014.

The live event will feature recording artists like Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Pitbull, Keith Urban, ZEDD and more. Performances will be available as a live or on demand stream via iTunes, the Apple TV or the iTunes Festival app for iOS devices.
Quote:
"The iTunes Festival in London has become an incredible way for Apple to share its love of music with our customers," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "We're excited about the incredible lineup of artists performing and SXSW is the perfect place to debut the first iTunes Festival in the US."
Apple's iTunes Festival tickets are available for free and will be given out by lottery to SXSW attendees, who can enter to win by scanning their badge at a location to be determined. Winners are allowed to bring a guest, but that person must be a SXSW badge holder as well. Details on the ticket giveaway are available on SXSW's website.

The iTunes Festival is held each year in London, where more than 400 artists have performed for over 430,000 fans since it started in 2007.

Article Link: Apple Bringing iTunes Festival to U.S. at SXSW 2014
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:08 AM   #2
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

pretty cool.

will they do plays on AppleTV or via an App?
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Dave532
macrumors member

There's been an iTunes festival app for the UK event, so surely the same for the US version.

It always seemed odd to me that the UK was the only country with an iTunes festival.

Another weird iTunes tie-in the UK has is the Vodafone Big Top 40, that is broadcast on most commercial local radio stations. The chart is entirely controlled by iTunes downloads, but as it's sponsored by Vodafone they often give away crap like BlackBerry's
Dave532 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Wonder how some of these performers will fare at SXSW? Not their usual target population.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:22 AM   #5
ikir
macrumors 6502a

I love iTunes Festival! Watching it live on my AppleTV usually!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Would love to be there. SXSW is cool too. Unfortunately, getting to Austin this year is not in the cards. But I think its great that Apple is bringing the festival (in part) to the home turf.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:33 AM   #7
monospaced
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMRamage View Post
pretty cool.

will they do plays on AppleTV or via an App?
5th sentence:
"Performances will be available as a live or on demand stream via iTunes, the Apple TV or the iTunes Festival app for iOS devices."
monospaced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:45 AM   #8
coppersmith.dan
macrumors newbie

Old Concerts available?

Anyone know if Old Concerts are available somewhere other than iTube?

I assume Apple pulls them down for contractual reasons, but the quality is so much nicer on AppleTV. I'd be willing to buy them in iTunes, but that doesn't seem to be an option either.
coppersmith.dan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:46 AM   #9
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
Wonder how some of these performers will fare at SXSW? Not their usual target population.
SXSW is on the verge of sellout at this point. I won't go near downtown in March. Glad Austin is making money, though.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Bare
macrumors regular

Holy Balls. I thought Coldplay was taking several years off from doing live shows, so this kinda seems like a big deal.

I don't care if it's in the middle of the week -- I'll drive to Austin for that. The Moody Theater is a fantastic venue.

EDIT: To actually get into the venue on that night, you have to have a badge for SXSW, then go to the Austin Convention Center the weekend before these shows and enter the drawing. Good luck.

Last edited by Bare; Feb 19, 2014 at 09:07 AM.
Bare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:02 AM   #11
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502

New Products?

The big question is will they use this an opportunity to announce any new products? Maybe a new Apple TV or spec-bumped Macbook selection?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:02 AM   #12
joelisfar
macrumors member

I guess that's why they call it the bestdamncity.com
joelisfar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:05 AM   #13
BruceEBonus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to BruceEBonus
Thanks for the warning. About as much "talent" as there is at tonight's Brit Awards. Great if you like singer songwriters on guitars, rhythmical shouters or insipid folksy combos from the nineties. Otherwise keep playing the stuff from the nineties and before. Before instrumentalists died. And iTunes began.
Those who remember the days before Simon Cowell and the marketers came to town are advised to steer well clear!

Cheers!
BruceEBonus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:10 AM   #14
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Um, how do I apply for tickets? I want one.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Ooh I wish they'd get Foo Fighters. Saw them in 2011, one of the best concerts ever.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:18 AM   #16
nazaar
macrumors 6502

meh.

I'm more interested in when radio is launching in Canada.
nazaar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:46 AM   #17
jctech
macrumors newbie

Great event

This is truely an Apple TV sensation!

Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:20 AM   #18
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
SXSW is on the verge of sellout at this point...
It has been "sold out" for decades. I used to work it a couple decades back, and it was already turning then. Nowadays it is more about the music industry and social programming rather than expression and musicianship.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:22 AM   #19
efktd
macrumors regular

can't wait for south by!
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:27 AM   #20
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Would of been better if they brought larger screen iPhones to US for the first time.
sinsin07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:42 AM   #21
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

It is cheaper to go to Europe than to attend SXSW (and I live 5 hours away from Austin). Seriously. You can see all these artists for less money, with better seating, and nicer venues. The experience is about the same, less people of course, but more intimate, especially when you can actually get near the front.

I will gladly enjoy watching it on my MacBook Pro instead. It's not the same, but man, the fact is that most of us who decide to buy tickets based on the iTunes Festival showcase will probably not be able to get the passes for the very thing.

It will be interesting to see if they still have the festival in the fall...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:46 AM   #22
dejo

What?! No Kanye West?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
Would of been better if they brought larger screen iPhones to US for the first time.
Yes. Here in Europe, we've been enjoying large-screen iPhones for a long time. But we're sworn to secrecy.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:53 AM   #24
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Yes. Here in Europe, we've been enjoying large-screen iPhones for a long time. But we're sworn to secrecy.
Comment not related to what was done in Europe concerning concerts.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:33 AM   #25
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvictor7 View Post
The big question is will they use this an opportunity to announce any new products? Maybe a new Apple TV or spec-bumped Macbook selection?
no way....
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion