Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:08 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Square Teams Up With Product (RED) for Special Edition Reader to Fight AIDS

Mobile payments company Square has partnered with AIDS charity Product (RED) to introduce a new special edition "SQUA(RED)" card reader. The reader, which is bright red, is available for a $10 donation with 97.25 percent of that cost going directly to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

Along with donating funds to charity, Square's new reader allows customers who swipe their cards to learn more about the project and donate to Product (RED) directly from their emailed receipts.

Quote:
"Square already helps millions of local sellers run and grow their business, and now with SQUA(RED) Reader, we're empowering them to raise awareness for an important cause and help save lives in the process," said Jack Dorsey, CEO of Square.
Apple has a long history with Product (RED) and has sold red-themed devices and accessories in support of the charity for many years. Most recently, Apple's senior vice president of design Jony Ive teamed up with designer Marc Newson to create a range of products to benefit Product (RED), including a one-of-a-kind red Mac Pro. The duo raised over $13 million, adding to the $65 million Apple has raised for Product (RED) over the last several years.

Article Link: Square Teams Up With Product (RED) for Special Edition Reader to Fight AIDS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:16 PM   #2
procrastinasn
macrumors member

Would be cool if .01% of all charges with that reader gets sent to RED!
procrastinasn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:22 PM   #3
musika
macrumors 65816

I love Square. This is awesome, though I do wonder who will buy it when the regular reader is available for free.

Last edited by musika; Feb 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM.
musika is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:17 PM   #4
bookwormsy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
I love Square. This is awesome, though I do wonder who will buy it when the regular reader is available for free.
The people who want to donate to Project (RED)? The same people who would have bought the million dollar earpod if they had a million dollars?
bookwormsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Ivan0310
macrumors member

Quote:
...Special Edition Reader to Fight AIDS
Does the card reader itself fight the disease? What odd wording in the title.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:02 PM   #6
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I will. It's a good cause and I like the limited edition (RED) version.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:05 PM   #7
J4B3
macrumors member

Quote:
Guilty! It's a good cause and I use my Square often. Also, I'm a sucker for RED. Just bought a red Nexus 5 on impulse.
J4B3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:57 PM   #8
mitty
macrumors member

I love how magnetic card readers are big news, when the rest of the planet has moved on to chip or paypass/paywave. Looking forward to the USA catching up with the rest of us.
mitty is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:09 PM   #9
wikiverse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinasn View Post
Would be cool if .01% of all charges with that reader gets sent to RED!
But then square would actually be supporting the charity instead of just letting their customers make a donation.

It's how they appear to be doing good without actually doing anything. Same goes for apple.
wikiverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:32 PM   #10
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitty View Post
I love how magnetic card readers are big news, when the rest of the planet has moved on to chip or paypass/paywave. Looking forward to the USA catching up with the rest of us.
This is a good point. What will happen to square when people move onto new cards in 2015? I don't use my square that much anymore, but I will definitely get this. I love project red. Square really does help split costs with roommates too. I should get back into doing that.