Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mavrack

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hi guys, so while I love my Macbook Pro. It has had a lot of screen issues to say the least... Couple dead pixels and the time after that a couple of stuck ones. Each time after I got a screen replacement there would be a scratch on the new lid of the display. It's one of those scratches thats a lighter then the rest of the area of the finish. It looks shiny and is only seen from looking at it from the right angle. Otherwise it is invisible. Sometimes it would be dented along the side too. So question is, does Apple use refurb parts? And have any of you experienced this too? Thanks.

Last edited:

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Thought so, irks me that they use parts that are cosmetically damaged in repairs.

They don't. Apple has high standards even for refurb/repair parts. The terms and conditions allow them to use refurbished parts, but it's not a guarantee and most of the parts they use are actually new. All refurbished items have their batteries and exteriors replaced before being sold, and external repair parts are new. There are many explanations for small scratches and dents. **** happens. My brand new computer wasn't even flawless when I got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.