Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Or, 10 inch form factor is vastly superior to 8 inch. (8 inch has its places, but experience is not the same)

Those who know, know.

Steve Jobs was absolutely correct.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Insecure much?

iPad 3 to rMini. Haven't looked twice at the air. And played with it a handful of times prior to trying rmini out.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Or, 10 inch form factor is vastly superior to 8 inch. (8 inch has its places, but experience is not the same)

Those who know, know.

Steve Jobs was absolutely correct.

Totally agree. Use pressing the little x on the top right of a browser bar to clear the text in the bar for example. I don't have huge fingers/hands, but for some reason, I have to press it 3-4 times before it actually registers. That's just impractical when you have to press the x several times a day. By contrast, on the iPad 2, I only need to press it once. The larger screen real estate is real here.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Meh, I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mini for it's smaller form factor. Full size is really nice but I'd like something more portable at times.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Meh, I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mini for it's smaller form factor.

Me as well... I was thinking of getting one, 1) to play around with in the house, and 2) a perfect size solution for the kid to watch stuff in the car.

Haven't done it yet, but still considering. Everytime I fondle one at the Apple store, I get a little closer to pulling the trigger.

In terms of it being better than the air, since I don't own one I can't comment.

I will say that the Air is the perfect size for me in the house. I use the darn thing in the evenings on the couch, so I am not sure what benefit the Mini's size would give me.

Maybe I'll buy one and see... :D

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I had an iPad 3 which I sold a long time ago, I didn't find it useful having a 13'' MBA. Too big to carry around, yet too restricted to use it as a laptop replacement. Sometimes it even bothered me the size of the screen itself, I mean, I was hard to handle, gaming was a PITA, etc.

I got the retina mini and haven't even considered the Air. The display is great, not small by any means. It's absolutely perfect for gaming and reading, easy enough to take it with you, etc. Just perfect. Productivity wise the Air might have an edge, but I think both are pretty useless; that's what a laptop is for.

I still don't find a use case for the Air, at least in my case.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If there are no laptops or phones and all we have is a mini and and Air.. the Air is so much easier to use on the bigger screen - it's not really debatable. However, we have tons of other devices available so some people like the mini and vice versa.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Meh, I've been toying with the idea of getting a Mini for it's smaller form factor. Full size is really nice but I'd like something more portable at times.

Here are my issues with the Rmini:

Display appears to be washed out, the audio quality, text is crushed, less enjoyment with games and video, the price versus the Air. I'll add more as to why I returned it later.

Forgot the color contrast/gamut.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I like how people are acting like deciding between two screens with less than a 2" difference with the exact same specs is a personal accomplishment. Congratulations... you bought something, you win, I guess. :rolleyes:

If I wanted an Air, I would own an Air. It's a $100 difference, it's not like I bought the rMini because it was all I could afford. FFS I dropped $2600 on the rMBP I'm typing this post on. I got an rMini because it's preferable to me.

But no, I'm really impressed with your penis size. It's wonderful.

----------

If there are no laptops or phones and all we have is a mini and and Air.. the Air is so much easier to use on the bigger screen - it's not really debatable. However, we have tons of other devices available so some people like the mini and vice versa.

This is it. I have an rMBP. When I need a full screen, I use that. I don't need something the size of a small laptop with no keyboard. The rMini tucks into a jacket pocket and is easy to thumb type on. Boom. I keep it.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I like how people are acting like deciding between two screens with less than a 2" difference with the exact same specs is a personal accomplishment. Congratulations... you bought something, you win, I guess. :rolleyes:

If I wanted an Air, I would own an Air. It's a $100 difference, it's not like I bought the rMini because it was all I could afford. FFS I dropped $2600 on the rMBP I'm typing this post on. I got an rMini because it's preferable to me.

But no, I'm really impressed with your penis size. It's wonderful.

Says the guy who felt the need to tell us how expensive his rMBP was. :cool:

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
I own both, and usage of the Mini is about 80%, Air about 20%. While I love the Air's larger screen, the Mini is overall a more useful product for my needs. It's lighter and the form factor is much more conducive for the majority of games. As light as the Air is now, it's still more difficult to hold it in one hand over longer periods of time.

My friends generally come to me for advice on Apple products, and I almost always steer them toward the Mini, unless they have problems with their vision and really require larger font sizes, etc.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The lighter and smaller form factor of the Mini just makes it far more useful for me. Much easier to carry around and more comfortable to use. The Air wasn't even a consideration for me. Prior to the Mini, I never even liked the iPad because I couldn't find a use for it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Vastly Superior?

That's quite a stretch. Although, iPad Air screen real estate is added benefit in comparison to the retina iPad Mini.

I've been so accustomed to the regular iPad size and I just can't see myself going to the mini version of it. Maybe if I the Mini was my first experience with iPads, then I'll have a different outlook.

But it all depends on the person.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Insecure much?

iPad 3 to rMini. Haven't looked twice at the air. And played with it a handful of times prior to trying rmini out.

No.

I have both the Mini and the Air. Just making a statement, and that statement has nothing to do with my emotional security. Thanks for posting in this thread!

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Says the guy who felt the need to tell us how expensive his rMBP was. :cool:

The reason I said that wasn't to be like "oh look at me with money" but to point out that the reason people buy a Mini isn't just because it's cheaper, which is what OP seems to be implying. Like rMini owners get the cheaper device and then try to justify it when they know that the Air is "superior". Neither is superior, just the one that fits your needs better.

It's like watching children argue about the PS4 versus the XB1 versus adults. When it's kids, you can understand why they're fighting because they had to ask for one of the systems for Christmas and need to defend which they got, but for grown ups... they bought the one they wanted with their own money.

Acting like there's some "war" between Air and Mini owners is ****ing stupid, because we're all grown ups here who spent our money on the product we prefer. That's why I brought up money.

Trust me, I'm FAR from some white collar toolbox who just throws money around to show off. XD

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Just really in to putting people down then? :rolleyes:

To me, any points you (may) make lose all credibility when you start making childish remarks about penis size.

What... Are... Okay, I'm gonna assume you're either intentionally misrepresenting everything I'm saying or you're just too dense to understand simple language, and either way I'm done here.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
What... Are... Okay, I'm gonna assume you're either intentionally misrepresenting everything I'm saying or you're just too dense to understand simple language, and either way I'm done here.

Which part did I misrepresent? The part about penis size or the part about white collar toolboxes?

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.