Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yobie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Hi, and thanks in advance if you can help....
I recently bought my first Mac (am very excited but don't have a clue - or keep coming up against issues on using it). One of my desires was to upload videos taken over the last 10 years, on a Panasonic NV-GS120. I don't have a lot of them but realise it will take (real) time to upload etc. Thanks to scanning this forum, I have bought a) a firewire cable and b) Apple thunderbolt to Firewire adapter to upload.
So this morning, I plugged it all in, turned it on and got a message "camera uncontrollable". Argh! The Mac did however, did recognise the make and model of the DV camera - so I am hopeful that there is a way to make it "controllable".
Does anyone out there know what needs to to be my next step:roll eyes:.
I await in anticipation
kind regards....

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Considering OP said DV camera I'm guessing it doesn't have an SD card. Based on his model it's mini-DV only which means it's gotta come off the tape. Solid logic for a newer camera but won't work with something like this.

Anyway, OP, controllable usually just means that when you hit record on your Mac a signal is sent to your camera to effectively play. Same as if you hit any of the regular control buttons in the Mac side.

I would wager a guess (and it's nothing more than that, I have never seen this) that if the camera is being picked up you should be able to hit capture and then hit play on the camera and it still should work. That's effectively all control is doing anyway.

Just to get it out of the way though: what model Mac are you using? What software for editing?

Lastly, just so you know for the future, what you are attempting to do is called capture, not upload. Upload would be like putting it on YouTube or some other remote server. I understood what you meant but the proper terms always help.

yobie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Many thanks

For prompt reply!
I will capture as suggested and see if it was simply my ineptitude that is stopping me. My Mac (iMac) is 2.7GHz (bought Jan this year) and I was attempting to use iMovie that it came with.... if you have a better idea I'm all ears/ eyes, as I only want to transfer all these tapes(about a dozen) onto the Mac once!

Big Stevie: I think if I had an SD card, it would only have stills on it. And I never used the video camera for that.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I missed the fact you have a DV camera. Ive got one up in my loft and now Im thinking of doing the same with all the tapes. Though Im sure that before putting it in the loft a few years ago I copied the tapes onto dvd via my Panasonic DVD recorder that sits under my tv. If so, I should have the dvd's somewhere so maybe I can just copy them onto my macbook.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Part of the problem might be apple phasing out analog mediums. Final Cut Pro X doesn't allow tape captures. I don't know about iMovie but if it's reading the DV camera you should be alright.

My guess, as it was above, is that it just can't control the camera.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
So this morning, I plugged it all in, turned it on and got a message "camera uncontrollable". Argh! The Mac did however, did recognise the make and model of the DV camera - so I am hopeful that there is a way to make it "controllable".
Try this...

In iMovie, press the Record button. On the camera, press play.

That might work.

yobie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Brilliant thanks!

So it did turn out to be easy...just as mtngoatjoe and AcesHigh87 thought. And I've successfully started capturing all the tapes to my Mac. I recommend you get out there and do the same Big Stevie - it's a great trip down memory lane and brilliant to see these videos on the Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.