Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Okay, so my MacBook Pro iSight randomly turned for a very brief moment and i had no camera apps running i checked under processes to find "a5" which i closed, call me paranoid, but I'm scared and i want to know what it was ? :eek:

Did a clamxav scan and found something unix file cracker and the "virus" was osx.backdoor.wirenet-3 something? Now i found 2 geneio trojans?

Last edited:

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
delete

Any of these that are not normal,? i hope i this doesn't hurt my personal information..

Last edited:

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Now 150GB of space got taken up in half of a second. And everything is weird.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
someone is spying on you. Are you in the US cause it might be the NSA. :D

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
maybe this will help; https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5875133?tstart=0

i would start with at least taping the webcam, im paranoid too. but one question, what do you mean with weird?

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
it suddenly filled 150gb space? the wirenet thingy somewhat installs lots of things. one thing to see for, is there a .install folder in your home folder? if it is, whats the contents?

It was a jar file that i deleted and the a5 process won't appear anymore..

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
do you have any backups? as mentioned before you should reinstall os x. that is the most secure to do.

I definentaly have backups, but reinstalling os x would be a pain, isn't there any way to find out which files contain the virus and just delete them?

----------

Reinstall OSX and restore from your backup.

But if i reinstall osx and then restore from backup won't i get the same virus, isn't virus in files?

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
I definentaly have backups, but reinstalling os x would be a pain, isn't there any way to find out which files contain the virus and just delete them?

----------

But if i reinstall osx and then restore from backup won't i get the same virus, isn't virus in files?

that is certainly possible, but the wirenet malware is able to install its own components by itself. you should look inside both library folders for suspicious stuff. has the webcam turned on itself again?

EDIT: reinstalling os x and then restoring will not reinfect you, except if the backup was made after you were infected.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
that is certainly possible, but the wirenet malware is able to install its own components by itself. you should look inside both library folders for suspicious stuff. has the webcam turned on itself again?

EDIT: reinstalling os x and then restoring will not reinfect you, except if the backup was made after you were infected.

Oops, i don't know how long I've had the virus for, i think more than a month but that was the first time and it has not happened again.

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
Oops, i don't know how long I've had the virus for, i think more than a month but that was the first time and it has not happened again.

oh. i found out that the earlier wirenet malware 1 and 2 was made to steal passwords from web browsers and email clients, and sending the info to the host. i guess your out of luck, but nothing is impossible. seeing suspicious activity from email?

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
oh. i found out that the earlier wirenet malware 1 and 2 was made to steal passwords from web browsers and email clients, and sending the info to the host. i guess your out of luck, but nothing is impossible. seeing suspicious activity from email?

How do i see that? You mean that my account has sent mails etc?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
What could you possibly be doing to create these issues on your computer, seriously.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.