Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egy195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Hi guys
for how many years do you tend to keep your laptops ? And I mean as your main laptop
I was wondering about this as i've never crossed the 3 years mark with any of my laptops
do you use them till you don't bother to fix them or you just buy a new one after certain amount of time ?
I've seen people on the internet still using their machines well past 5 or 6 years
I bought my current toshiba laptop back in august 2012 and already replaced the screen :rolleyes:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
When I used Windows machines they would have multiple problems after about 2 years use and I'd get a new one. Since switching over to Macs in 2012 I can't see myself upgrading or buying a new machine for quite some time. I've had it for a full 2 years now and it's just as fast as ever so I plan to stretch this one to at least 5 years minimum.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My time frame is around three years. This is because I have Applecare on every laptop I purchase, and it expires after three years. Besides, after three years, a new computer will usually be quite noticeably different (better specifications, more power, more memory, better screen, other technical innovations have usually been developed in the interim, too.

My iPods are different; if they die during the first year (of warranty), naturally, I seek a replacement. However, I have two that are still going strong at four and five years of age, respectively, to which I added a third recently.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I've had my Sony Vaio for over 6 years now and it's still going strong-ish - it's getting rather sluggish now, battery's shot, and I think the keyboard's getting a bit suspect but it keeps going!

Probably should replace it but can't afford to at the moment and besides, it still works! I'd love to replace it with a Mac or some description but that's sadly out of the question financially :(

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
my sister would replace her windows PC every 2-3 years mainly because of hardware issues

I had my macbook for 5 years before I replaced it last year mainly because of software outdated

Overall, apple products are very reliable if you take care of them ;)

egy195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
i'm having fun reading your comments guys, thank you and keep them coming:)

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
My last laptop (Dell XPS) I had in full use for around 3 1/2 years, of that period it was Windows for 1 year and OS X for the remainder, it is now my MythTV box (I purchased it in 2008).

My current is my 2011 11" MBA that I purchased in 2011 and I have no plans to replace it at this point.

The laptops I use for work tend to be 3 - 4 years depending on when they cycle them out, I've been with the company for 10 years and am on my fourth laptop with them (came in halfway through the first cycle and received a hand-me-down).

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
2-3 years. I just like having the "latest and greatest". I try to sell my machines while they still have decent re-sale value, before they get too old.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I am about to hit 6 years with my current MacBook Pro.

It is about time for a new one... but since the current one aint broken I do not feel like doing anything about it.

Same here!

I used to have an upgrade cycle of 3 years or when the price of a system that has almost double the specs matched the original purchase price of current system.

With my 2008 15" MBP, I broke that rule. It is still my main system, and I have hit few issues of performance. Primarily gaming (which I don't do much of, still playing games from a year or two ago on it).

I am also getting into the habit of buying the outgoing model when Apple upgrades the systems, that way I get some extra $$ off that I can use for additional purchases. Typically the performance differences are not significant enough for the %10 or more discount.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Only just retired my mid-2007 MacBook Pro :)

6 years isn't bad at all, I was expecting about 5 years (only way I could justify spending so much on a laptop), and to be fair an SSD upgrade and new battery would get another year or so out of it easy.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I use two factors. Were it my primary workstation (30+ hours per week), I would have replaced my MPB at 3 years. At under 20 hours per week and still going strong, I put in an SSD and expect another 2-3 years. May replace the battery as well.

So from an odometer standpoint, at about 5000 hours (about $0.25 per hour).

egy195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Only just retired my mid-2007 MacBook Pro :)

6 years isn't bad at all, I was expecting about 5 years (only way I could justify spending so much on a laptop), and to be fair an SSD upgrade and new battery would get another year or so out of it easy.

so why wouldn't you put an SSD into it ? just curious :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Generally, a year...My current rMBP is 11 months old, but I will be hanging out longer this time around...I wouldn't replace it with anything else so I guess it will be another 13" Retina model...I've become used to the real estate and it's portability is great.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I would say around every 4.5/5 years.

I have a high end, Mid-2010 17" MBP right now and I will most likely get a replacement for it around WWDC.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I would say around every 4.5/5 years.

I have a high end, Mid-2010 17" MBP right now and I will most likely get a replacement for it around WWDC.

I kind of wish I still had my "17...maxed out top spec...sold it here. I know it was a heavy beast, but if I had one now and could afford to, I'd keep it....they won't ever make a 17" again, and it could become a collectable..Apple didn't sell that many of the big beasts, and I loved mine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use two factors. Were it my primary workstation (30+ hours per week), I would have replaced my MPB at 3 years. At under 20 hours per week and still going strong, I put in an SSD and expect another 2-3 years. May replace the battery as well.

So from an odometer standpoint, at about 5000 hours (about $0.25 per hour).

Fair point. My MBA (and its predecessors) are my main computer and have been for years; thus, they work hard - and are worked hard - daily.

Sometimes, I am indeed offered an antique (usually Windows) machine when I am working abroad. That machine is invariably used for office emails, and very little else; everything I write and research is done on my own MBA.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Typically 3 years for me, but on my latest go around, I'm looking to keep it longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.