Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Expanding North Carolina Data Center Once Again

Apple is expanding its Maiden, North Carolina data center again according to permits filed with Catawba County, reports The Hickory Daily Record. The plans say the additional data center building will cover 14,246 square feet with walls 25 feet tall, made of precast concrete wall panels along steel columns, similar to the "tactical" data center that was added in 2012.

Photo of the facility from 2012, courtesy WIRED
Quote:
Like the previous tactical data center, plans for the new one shows banks of computers in the main portion of it and 11 air units to cool it. Two more air units will supply the office and other occupied area of the data center.
Its security measures appear to be similar to that of the previous data center, including what's called a man-trap door -- one door closes before the second one opens.
Apple's facility in Maiden is enormous, with a 100-acre solar farm and a 500,000 square foot data center, with plans in place for a second. Apple also has data centers built or under construction in Prineville, Oregon and Reno, Nevada.

Article Link: Apple Expanding North Carolina Data Center Once Again
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:01 PM   #2
keterboy
macrumors regular

Awe. Som. Ness.
keterboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:01 PM   #3
musika
macrumors 65816

Because it wasn't already big.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Video hosting capacity for the iTV?
Z400Racer37 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Lymf
macrumors newbie

it's a pretty small addition compared to the main one... wonder what's the goal behind it...
Lymf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:28 PM   #6
jimthing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37 View Post
As said before "iTV" is a brand that will never happen for Apple. Just the same as MS had to change from using "SkyDrive" to "OneDrive" recently because the brand name Sky is owned by the Murdoch corp British Sky Broadcasting (they use the "Sky" brand) in the UK and beyond, and offer internet services, hence the conflict. The same is true for the UK's Independent Television (they use the "iTV" brand) – guess what industry they're already in...

wiki:Apple

Last edited by jimthing; Feb 20, 2014 at 05:34 PM.
jimthing is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:42 PM   #7
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Wrong expansion.

Expand screen size.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:58 PM   #8
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:

You need a cdn for that
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:10 PM   #9
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

A guy in another thread about the Campus 2 pointed out how these overhead shots look a lot like silicon chip photos. Now I can't stop looking for the FPU and L1 cache! :-)
FakeWozniak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthing View Post
As said before "iTV" is a brand that will never happen for Apple. Just the same as MS had to change from using "SkyDrive" to "OneDrive" recently because the brand name Sky is owned by the Murdoch corp British Sky Broadcasting (they use the "Sky" brand) in the UK and beyond, and offer internet services, hence the conflict. The same is true for the UK's Independent Television (they use the "iTV" brand) guess what industry they're already in...
... Unannounced names aside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
You need a cdn for that
CDN?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:13 AM   #11
daneoni
macrumors G4

All that iWatch data won't sync itself.

Quote:
CDN?
Content delivery network. Like Akamai.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:08 AM   #12
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Security

Another man-trap door for a facility this large. I wonder why they believe this much security is required. Two layers of doors makes sense. But to physically/electronically link them so that they can't both be open at once seems like an unnecessary amount of security to become basically standard.

I'd like to see Apple get a little better with digital sharing. But iTunes has been streaming pretty good for me over the last couple of years. I'm definitely ready to buy another Apple TV though and get even better performance. I could retire one of my version 2s. And if the device is good enough and still $100, I might retire two of them.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:54 AM   #13
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
Another man-trap door for a facility this large. I wonder why they believe this much security is required. Two layers of doors makes sense. But to physically/electronically link them so that they can't both be open at once seems like an unnecessary amount of security to become basically standard.
If I'm understanding correctly, it would prevent the scenario of creating a distraction at one door while entering the other.

Can you imagine the fallout if apples entire cloud was compromised. Personal info, software updates, apps, even lack of availability. The more connected everything gets, the more painful a loss of those connections. A single breech would hit the stock value with losses greater than the value of the entire facility.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:04 AM   #14
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

I wonder what speed the Internet connection is there and how they connect. Also what the storage capacity is. Minus redundancy and backups.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:08 PM   #15
vpndev
macrumors regular

maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthing View Post
As said before "iTV" is a brand that will never happen for Apple. Just the same as MS had to change from using "SkyDrive" to "OneDrive" recently because the brand name Sky is owned by the Murdoch corp British Sky Broadcasting (they use the "Sky" brand) in the UK and beyond, and offer internet services, hence the conflict. The same is true for the UK's Independent Television (they use the "iTV" brand) guess what industry they're already in...
I agree that UK's ITV has a strong lock on that name but there is always the possibility that Apple will license it. That's what it did with Cisco for the "iOS" name - just paid money and licensed it.

I'm not sure that Apple will do it but it is possible.
vpndev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:58 PM   #16
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
All that iWatch data won't sync itself.

Content delivery network. Like Akamai.
I see, so what enables them to host/stream videos on an Apple TV now, but would prevent them from doing this on a larger scale with owner generated content?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:52 PM   #17
CausticSoda
macrumors member

If I were ITV, I would sell the name to Apple for Gigabucks, and just choose another name. ITV is so well established in the UK, it could rebrand itself with any other name, and it would make no difference. Some people already call it Channel 3, the reasons for which will be obvious to people in the UK.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:38 PM   #18
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, it would prevent the scenario of creating a distraction at one door while entering the other.

Can you imagine the fallout if apples entire cloud was compromised. Personal info, software updates, apps, even lack of availability. The more connected everything gets, the more painful a loss of those connections. A single breech would hit the stock value with losses greater than the value of the entire facility.
Stock price hit makes sense. Certainly the loss in stock price would be less than the cost of this door (and the continued inconvenience of using it (if it does what it is supposed to do, it should have nearly zero ability to circumvent, meaning it will be a total pain on a daily basis just to get stuff in and out of the building)).

I'm thinking Apple's got something in the works. These data centers seem bigger than what is necessary to stream iTunes to current Apple TVs.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Limboistik
macrumors regular

Their network expansions must be for mobile payments and imminent TV service.
Limboistik is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion