Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
Does anybody still have the grandfathered unlimited data from AT&T?
I still do but I've been finding myself tempted to switch to the new mobile share.
Mainly for the tethering to my iPad Air.
Has anybody done this yet? Thoughts?

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Don't do it.

You'll regret it if you do.

I haven't done it, because i know i'll regret it if i do.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I gave up the unlimited plan to save $135 a month on four smartphone lines. That'll pay for a lot of overage GBs if it comes to that, which it almost certainly won't.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Do it.

You'll won't regret it at all.

I did it because I knew I wouldn't regret it.

:D

Seriously -- it's a personal decision. Look at your past data usage. Consider realistically how your usage might change in the future. Model the costs and expectations and see whether it makes sense for your specific usage pattern.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Do it.

You'll won't regret it at all.

I did it because I knew I wouldn't regret it.

:D

Seriously -- it's a personal decision. Look at your past data usage. Consider realistically how your usage might change in the future. Model the costs and expectations and see whether it makes sense for your specific usage pattern.

this is the best advise. 10gb of data is unlimited for most people. Anything over 2gb for me personally is basically unlimited since I hover around 1.5gb.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Ever since switching to the 10GB plan, I've been trying to burn through as much data as I possibly can. So far, I'm at 3.8GB and my cycle ends tomorrow.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I still do but I've been finding myself tempted to switch to the new mobile share.

Yes, I did it. I don't think I ever went over 2 GB of data usage since I had my phone, so tethering to my iPad was more valuable to me than unlimited data. Plus they just turned on WiFi for personal devices at my job, so now my data usage is even less. Really wasn't a hard decision when the new plans were announced.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Switched from original iPhone Unlimited Data when they first came out with the Mobile Share plans. Couldn't be happier. Have saved tons of money over the years, and between my iPhone, my iPad, and then I brought my mother on my plan with her iPhone... we can't seem to use our 10 GB if we try. And we both avidly use music streaming and Netflix on occasion.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

I dropped the unlimited and went 10GB do not regret it because under the Unlimited I could not tether, and now I can with 3 Smartphones I pay $145 with 10GB and we all tether and never go past 4gb each month, rather save on the monthly besides now they drop your speeds after 5gb of lte usage on Unlimited plans, so what's the point? They will all DO away with the Unlimited Plans soon enough.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Swore I would never drop my unlimited. 10GB family share became available. Switched. Saving $50 plus per month. 3 phones have barely used 1GB in the 1st month. Absolutely worth it to me. Heck, with all the wfi available now, I could probably live on 2GB per month.

No brainer for me.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
It really depends on how much you'd be saving. Personally I'd keep the unlimited. I don't have to worry about overages or constantly checking the data usage to make sure I don't go over the limit. If AT&T implements a rollover data like they did with the minutes, it may be worth considering.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I would keep your unlimited. The 10GB mobile share is a good deal if you're with AT&T next, BYOP or buy a phone at full price.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 1,068

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I would keep your unlimited. The 10GB mobile share is a good deal if you're with AT&T next, BYOP or buy a phone at full price.

My contract expires in September and I was able to get the 10GB with $15 a line last week. I think it's worth it. I am a heavy data user so I hope 10GB is enough lol. I just hope if I get a new 2 year contract this year that the lines wouldn't jump an extra $15.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
My contract expires in September and I was able to get the 10GB with $15 a line last week. I think it's worth it. I am a heavy data user so I hope 10GB is enough lol. I just hope if I get a new 2 year contract this year that the lines wouldn't jump an extra $15.
It wouldn't jump an extra $15, it jumps an extra $25 to $40.

$40 is what you'd pay if you buy a new subsidized phone with 2-yr contract when your contract expires, under this Mobile Share Value 10GB plan.

To keep $15, you need to use Next, keep your current phone, or buy your new phone at full price.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Check your usage online. That's what I did - wanted tethering so I switched to a 5GB plan (not mobile share). Have had no problem up to this point. Looked at my usage online and I usually hovered around 3-4GB

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
It wouldn't jump an extra $15, it jumps an extra $25 to $40.

$40 is what you'd pay if you buy a new subsidized phone with 2-yr contract when your contract expires, under this Mobile Share Value 10GB plan.

To keep $15, you need to use Next, keep your current phone, or buy your new phone at full price.

Woops, I meant $25 lol, but thanks for the info.

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
I have been an ATT employee for 15 years. Had unlimited data with them ever since the iphone 3G. Always told myself that I was never going to get rid of my unlimited data. After being throttled every month for the pasted 4 months, 5gbs just is not enough. Yes it is nice not paying any overage, but being throttled, I feel I do not have full use of my smartphone. So I moved to the 20gb w/ 3 lines. Which is plenty for my 3 lines. Mostly me of course. Plus with 50% off my plan now it was a no brainer.

jdmass

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Another vote for 10GB shared plan. I dropped unlimited when I went to the 5S and have been very pleased with the shared plan - saved a bunch of money, also using personal hotspot functionality. Performance has been very good also

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have been an ATT employee for 15 years. Had unlimited data with them ever since the iphone 3G. Always told myself that I was never going to get rid of my unlimited data. After being throttled every month for the pasted 4 months, 5gbs just is not enough. Yes it is nice not paying any overage, but being throttled, I feel I do not have full use of my smartphone. So I moved to the 20gb w/ 3 lines. Which is plenty for my 3 lines. Mostly me of course. Plus with 50% off my plan now it was a no brainer.

I think you are special case since you get such a large discount as an employee.

I think for the average person who just has a single line the unlimited data plan is still the better deal.

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
I think you are special case since you get such a large discount as an employee.

I think for the average person who just has a single line the unlimited data plan is still the better deal.

The discount is new. It was never that high. The change for me was never about the discount. It was the need for more data. With my wife having unlimited and never going over 1gb. My mom having 2gb and never going over a gb. I figured sharing a pool of data between the 3 of us was a better choice for me. Plus saving some money compared to our old plan, before any discounts. The mobile share plans is a great choice for anyone who has multiple lines and need a big pool of data. If you have just one line on your plan with unlimited data, I would keep it for now. ATT has no plan to force anyone off of unlimited data. They will just wait until you move off of the plan youself. With the way competition is going between carriers the plans just going to keep getting better and better. Unlimited data will not be needed anymore.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I switched to the 10GB Mobile Share plan. It saves me money in the long run, even after paying full price for new iPhones every 2 years.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

I switched last year, no regrets and actually prefer not having it. Throttling at 5GB and no Personal Hot Spot were killers for me. It's clever naming, it's not "Unlimited Data" it's "Restricted Data". Could you imagine trying to go through the extra 5gb at edge speeds? That's the only difference. If on 10gb mobile share and you think you might go over 10gb, so the unlimited plan would be better to keep, just imagine how on earth would you go over 10gb at throttled speed? Makes no sense...

Not only that, but I have 3 devices on my account and it is very nice to not have to manage how much data each device needs and they can all grab from one bucket.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I made the changes.

But make sure you do your research on your data usage, but beware to check your bill and monitor it.

I changed it and they added 40 bucks to each line when I was quoted with a certain amount.. 5 lines for 170. And my AT&T bill was ridiculous high than what I expected.

This plan is basically trying to remove the unlimited data plans, that's all this plan is intended for. To get users under their Mobile Shared Data plans... Although T-Mobile played a part in it as well..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.