Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Fitbit Issues Recall for Fitbit Force Over Skin Irritation Reports

Fitbit today stopped sales of its Fitbit Force and issued a voluntary recall of the product following multiple consumer complaints of skin irritation.

First released in October of 2013, the Fitbit Force is the company's latest wearable activity tracker, monitoring sleep, steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, and stairs climbed.

Reports of skin irritation from the Fitbit Force began gaining traction in January after a report from The Consumerist pointed to multiple users experiencing contact dermatitis after prolonged use of the band.

Fitbit quickly began offering refunds or product replacements to affected customers and suggested the problems could be caused by a nickel allergy, as nickel is an element of the stainless steel used in the band. Fitbit's full recall letter is below, courtesy of TechCrunch:
Quote:
We wanted to provide an update on our investigation into reports we have received about Force users experiencing skin irritation.

From the beginning, we've taken this matter very seriously. We hired independent labs and medical experts to conduct a thorough investigation, and have now learned enough to take further action. The materials used in Force are commonly found in many consumer products, and affected users are likely experiencing an allergic reaction to these materials.

While only a small percentage of Force users have reported any issue, we care about every one of our customers. We have stopped selling Force and are in the process of conducting a voluntary recall, out of an abundance of caution. We are also offering a refund directly to consumers for full retail price. We want to thank each and every member of the Fitbit community for their continued loyalty and support. We are working on our next-generation tracker and will announce news about it soon.

For additional information, please contact our support line at: 888-656-6381, or visit http://www.fitbit.com/forcesupport.
According to Fitbit co-founder and CEO James Park, only 1.7 percent of Fitbit users have reported skin irritation issues. An independent study did, however, determine the Fitbit is causing allergic contact dermatitis in some users, likely as a result of nickel contact or from the strap materials/glue used in the device's construction.

Fitbit Force owners can request a refund for their devices from the Fitbit website, with the company promising to send a reimbursement check within two to six weeks after a returned device is received. Fitbit is also working on an updated hypoallergenic version of the Force to be released sometime in the near future.

Article Link: Fitbit Issues Recall for Fitbit Force Over Skin Irritation Reports
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Everyone trying to beat Apple to the punch these folks aren't even doing proper testing first.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:15 PM   #3
bailcam
macrumors newbie

Love my Fitbit Force, glad I'm not having any issues.
bailcam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:16 PM   #4
carjakester
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailcam View Post
same here, i wish it had something to put over the charge port so i could wear it in the shower though.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:21 PM   #5
hortod1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjakester View Post
same here, i wish it had something to put over the charge port so i could wear it in the shower though.
I love my too. Waterproof would make it perfect. I swim laps and it bums me out when I have to take it off
hortod1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Plutonius
macrumors 601

What are these people doing to get skin irritation ?
Plutonius is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:24 PM   #7
JAT
macrumors 603

Doesn't seem like much of a story. But irritation is part of why I stopped wearing watches 25 years ago. And other jewelry after that.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Everyone trying to beat Apple to the punch these folks aren't even doing proper testing first.
Apple did not even do proper testing of the iPhone4 in respect of being a phone!

Realistically if Apple want to be 100% sure then they should go with surgical grade titanium.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:29 PM   #9
DarkWinter
macrumors member

Meanwhile in the UK...still waiting for either the Fitbit Force or Jawbone UP24 to even be released.
DarkWinter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Twitchy
macrumors newbie

Use it

I use mine 24/7 and haven't had any problems.
Twitchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:37 PM   #11
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

I was actually looking into getting one of these this week, but they were sold out everywhere I checked... now I know why. Got a Pebble instead.

MrXiro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:38 PM   #12
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
What are these people doing to get skin irritation ?
They're doing the terrible deed of being biologically allergic to some of the materials used. How dare they.
keysofanxiety is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:41 PM   #13
dBeats
macrumors 6502

My nike fuel can go in the shower and no irritation after almost a year's worth of use....
dBeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:45 PM   #14
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

A person can get contact dermatitis from nearly anything, especially in hot and humid conditions, so I don't see how this problem can be avoided entirely. I've gotten it from my glasses, and they're made from plastic.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:50 PM   #15
oogje
macrumors Demi-God

Call Notifications still Coming Soon?

I hope this doesn't sidetrack the promised firmware update with Call Notifications. The CEO stating "We have stopped selling Force" and "we’re working on our next-generation tracker and will announce news about it soon" sounds like it's the end of Force.
oogje is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:51 PM   #16
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBeats View Post
My nike fuel can go in the shower and no irritation after almost a year's worth of use....
And I can eat a bag of peanuts with no ill effects.

You point being?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:52 PM   #17
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

I actually didn't like the fitbit force for several reasons:

Not waterproof,
cannot swap out rubber band,
too big/felt heavy, I always knew I was wearing it,
the clasp felt like it was always loose.

After about a month of wearing it, i returned and "downgraded" back to the FitBit Flex, which I absolutely love.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:54 PM   #18
DarkAether
macrumors regular

I started getting a rash under the charging port area of the Force after 6 weeks with no problems. Luckily I bought it at REI who has a long-term satisfaction guarantee, so when I brought it to the store and showed them my wrist, they offered a refund without issue. I ended up using the credit towards the Fitbit One model which has the same functionality and fits in your pocket or can clip on with an included clip case as well as comes with a velcro wrist band.
DarkAether is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:55 PM   #19
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Well, that product didn't last long. The Force was on sale for about six months, I believe? Shame to think of all the money spent on R&D and production for a product that had such a short life cycle.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:56 PM   #20
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
A person can get contact dermatitis from nearly anything, especially in hot and humid conditions, so I don't see how this problem can be avoided entirely. I've gotten it from my glasses, and they're made from plastic.
I applaud Fitbit for acting quickly, being open, and offering full refunds. That's how companies should react to issues. With that being said, I don't think there is much else they can do. A certain percentage of people are going to be allergic to something. Moisture is beast. If my Ironman get sweaty during workouts, I have to remove it immediately afterwards or suffer the consequences. Dry, just walking around? No issues.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:02 PM   #21
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
And I can eat a bag of peanuts with no ill effects.

You point being?
I heard peanuts make you gassy...

MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:03 PM   #22
Zxxv
macrumors 65816

Quote:
While only a small percentage of Force users have reported any issue, we care about every one of our customers. We have stopped selling Force and are in the process of conducting a voluntary recall, out of an abundance of caution.
Zxxv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:28 PM   #23
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post
I applaud Fitbit for acting quickly, being open, and offering full refunds. That's how companies should react to issues. With that being said, I don't think there is much else they can do. A certain percentage of people are going to be allergic to something. Moisture is beast. If my Ironman get sweaty during workouts, I have to remove it immediately afterwards or suffer the consequences. Dry, just walking around? No issues.
Exactly. Anybody who has any problem with a product for any reason should be able to return that product for a full refund. That's business 101.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:36 PM   #24
Trik
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogje View Post
I hope this doesn't sidetrack the promised firmware update with Call Notifications. The CEO stating "We have stopped selling Force" and "we’re working on our next-generation tracker and will announce news about it soon" sounds like it's the end of Force.
I came here to say exactly this, I'm worried that they will no longer release that firmware (why add to support load for a product they just recalled)...

Dammit.
Trik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:37 PM   #25
StyxMaker
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailcam View Post
I've gone with the Up 24 band from Jawbone. It can be worn in the shower, but not submerged.
StyxMaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion