Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

focused247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Hey guys, I am looking to make the switch to a Macbook. I have been looking into a used one to get started. I am not looking to do much on it right now internet, email, etc. Down the road I would like to buy an external blu ray burner drive. I was looking for some advice on whether or not this sounds good:

$560
13" Apple MacBook, Late 2009 Unibody, White, 2.26 GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB SSD Hybrid Harddrive
Specs
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
Storage: Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive

Comes with:
- Original packaging including installation DVDs and other documentation.
- Mavericks is installed.
- RAM is upgraded to 8GB.
- Harddrive has also been upgraded to 750GB SSD Hybrid.
- MS Office

Do older models have major limitations for new software and hardware?

Thanks!

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
I have a slightly newer one - the first aluminum unibody 2.26Ghz 8GB ram from 2009 - with a 128GB SSD hard drive. But if I remember correctly they did keep one model that was the same except for the case...either way mine seems similarly configured.

I still use this as my daily machine, and like you I don't do much with it other than internet, mail, light web development/coding.

You should checkout everymac.com to see what the latest OS is that it will run...I wouldn't get anything that can't run OSX 10.9 Mavericks (I say this as I'm still on 10.8.5 :D)

The older you get the more likley some new software won't be able to run because of processor speed or memory limitations - you should check out what you want to run and see if it is capable...and I'd be sure your a good bit above the "minimum requirements".

Just my 2 cents!

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Hey guys, I am looking to make the switch to a Macbook. I have been looking into a used one to get started. I am not looking to do much on it right now internet, email, etc. Down the road I would like to buy an external blu ray burner drive. I was looking for some advice on whether or not this sounds good:

$560
13" Apple MacBook, Late 2009 Unibody, White, 2.26 GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB SSD Hybrid Harddrive
Specs
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
Storage: Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive

Comes with:
- Original packaging including installation DVDs and other documentation.
- Mavericks is installed.
- RAM is upgraded to 8GB.
- Harddrive has also been upgraded to 750GB SSD Hybrid.
- MS Office

Do older models have major limitations for new software and hardware?

Thanks!

If you have the money to buy it at $500 then I say go for it, I bought a mid 2009 white macbook last year for $240 but it did not have the upgrades the one you are looking at has.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I have a 6,1 great machine and powerful enough for daily use and a few power features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.