Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Thanks for the vid, just goes to show how much a difference the CPU makes on this machine. One point though, why was the 2008 8 core not using 16 buckets in the C4D test or does it not support hyper threading? assuming it is 2 x 4 cores in that machine too.

Edit: Also great to see real world tests rather than benchmarks.

Last edited:

thomasfalke

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Thanks for the vid, just goes to show how much a difference the CPU makes on this machine. One point though, why was the 2008 8 core not using 16 buckets in the C4D test or does it not support hyper threading? assuming it is 2 x 4 cores in that machine too.

Edit: Also great to see real world tests rather than benchmarks.

It doesn't support hyper threading :-(

thomasfalke

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
op: What was the file size used in the handbrake test?

196.3mb

----------

How much of a difference would the ram have made. Would theses tests have fitted within 8GB ram?

I don't think these tests benefit from RAM. The biggest advantage for me in more RAM is that the 2013 Mac pro doesn't slow down when you have multiple programs open.

Even with Windows 8 running on VM ware i don't feel a speed difference.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
196.3mb

----------

I don't think these tests benefit from RAM. The biggest advantage for me in more RAM is that the 2013 Mac pro doesn't slow down when you have multiple programs open.

Even with Windows 8 running on VM ware i don't feel a speed difference.

I'd like to see that Handbrake test using a 1GB file or thereabouts....Just curious.

0x2102

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2014
Handbrake is using approx. 1GB (+/- 5%) memory on my MP no matter how big the source file is. Tested this with a 32GB MKV source file.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Damn! I was almost over my 2013 nMP envy. Now this! Curse you, thomasfalke! :)

It's very interesting to see the side by side speed differences between the model I currently own and the new Mac Pro. It makes the justification to buy even easier, though I'm still holding out for a year or two... I think.

0x2102

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2014
I am coming from a 12c 2.8Ghz classic MP 5.1 / 48GB RAM / SSD / Radeon 7970 to a nMP 6c/32GB/1TB/D700 and I really like the nMP. 100% multicore performance is about 25% less with the 6c but everything else feels snappier and faster.

Here comes the best part: it's silent even under 100% CPU load.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Here is a test of speed vs the nMP 6c. I forgot the actual numbers but the 6c is not the victor in this respect.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest 8HD.png
    DiskSpeedTest 8HD.png
    739.3 KB · Views: 248

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
SHOCK HORROR!

Computer made with components from 7 years old is slower than one made from parts less than 6 months old.

Who'd have thunk it.

slask

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
Notwithstanding specially optimized FCP routines for the nMP, the bang for the buck ratio is far too small for the new insanely expensive box.

Thank you very much, but my 2008 Pro will serve an additional 5 years, then we will see what has evolved.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Notwithstanding specially optimized FCP routines for the nMP, the bang for the buck ratio is far too small for the new insanely expensive box.

Thank you very much, but my 2008 Pro will serve an additional 5 years, then we will see what has evolved.

I hope you are lucky.

My Mp 1,1 is getting replaced with a nMP 6c like above. My MP1,1 (2007) is slowly dying. Parts wear out. Headphone jack is spotty, one of the FW800 seems to be going. One of my two DVD drives is on the fritz. Its been a great computer, I'm typing from it now. But I'm looking forward to retiring it, and frankly it owes me nothing after nearly 7 years of of pretty much 24/7 work. I've just been hoping it makes it till the nMP arrives. So getting 5 more years from your 2008, may be harder than just updating the GPU.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Since I don't do anything with my Mac Pro that would really benefit from the new Mac Pro, I'm staying with my 2008.

The much upgraded CPUs would be faster per core. The RAM is significantly faster. But I don't do anything that would benefit from the much better GPUs in the new Mac Pro. Which, based on my reading of reviews, is the main advantage of the new MP.

Of course, size is nice.

I'm probably done with upgrading, though. 20GB of RAM. 960GB and 240GB SSD. USB3 ports, and eSata.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Thanks Thomas for posting this. As you can see from my sig, I have a 3,1 like yourself and my nMP which was ordered on December 20th just changed to "preparing to ship" today. The nMP I have on order is an 8-core / 32GB / 1TB / D500.

Of all the benchmarks posted recently the one I see almost nothing about (which you alluded to) is improvements in virtual machine speed. Are there any tests you can run which would quantify that? BTW, I'm running Win7 x64 in VMWare Fusion 6.

thomasfalke

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Thanks Thomas for posting this. As you can see from my sig, I have a 3,1 like yourself and my nMP which was ordered on December 20th just changed to "preparing to ship" today. The nMP I have on order is an 8-core / 32GB / 1TB / D500.

Of all the benchmarks posted recently the one I see almost nothing about (which you alluded to) is improvements in virtual machine speed. Are there any tests you can run which would quantify that? BTW, I'm running Win7 x64 in VMWare Fusion 6.

Hi Michael, you can rest at ease, I am running Windows 8.1 on VMware and the Mac Pro pretends that he isn't even running an extra OS. He doesn't even care :D It's amazing. Startup speed in VMware is just a few seconds. Very stable. If I have time I will post a vid.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Hi Michael, you can rest at ease, I am running Windows 8.1 on VMware and the Mac Pro pretends that he isn't even running an extra OS. He doesn't even care :D It's amazing. Startup speed in VMware is just a few seconds. Very stable. If I have time I will post a vid.

Each generation of intel processor has gotten better at emulation. Haswell (not the E5v2 xeon) is better still.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007

Thanks for the reply. Posting a vid would be most awesome...but only do so if you have the time. A few hours ago, my "preparing for shipment" note changed to "item has shipped" and my credit card was charged. Estimated arrive is on Thursday of this week. I'll find out myself very soon :D

The other thing I'll be very interested to see is the quickness of a TB connected Drobo 5D loaded up with a bunch of 3TB SATA drives that I'm aiming to use for both additional storage and to partition and use as a TM drive. My Macintosh HD (boot drive) has 964GB of stuff and since I "only" have the 1TB drive in the nMP, I'd like to free up some of that space and offload it to the Drobo. Probably the first item of business will be moving most of the data out of my Movies directory since I have 180GB of iMovie events and 160GB in my iMovie Library.

thomasfalke

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Posting a vid would be most awesome...but only do so if you have the time. A few hours ago, my "preparing for shipment" note changed to "item has shipped" and my credit card was charged. Estimated arrive is on Thursday of this week. I'll find out myself very soon :D

The other thing I'll be very interested to see is the quickness of a TB connected Drobo 5D loaded up with a bunch of 3TB SATA drives that I'm aiming to use for both additional storage and to partition and use as a TM drive. My Macintosh HD (boot drive) has 964GB of stuff and since I "only" have the 1TB drive in the nMP, I'd like to free up some of that space and offload it to the Drobo. Probably the first item of business will be moving most of the data out of my Movies directory since I have 180GB of iMovie events and 160GB in my iMovie Library.

My Lacie 5big 10TB gets around 800MB/s (its only TB1), which is a perfect match for the internal HD of the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.