Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mephistopheles9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2014
Long story short, my daughter lost her ipod. I found 6 months later, but she forgot her password. I tried using a gecko tool kit procedure described here:
http://www.ipho9.com/gecko-toolkit-decrypt-forgotten-iphone-passcode/
It ran for an hour with no luck. I powered the ipod off. Tried to power it on, and nothing. I tried all of the power/home button combinations and still no power. Did I brick it? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No, you cannot brick an iOS device. Plug it into a computer overnight and restore it through DFU mode with iTunes.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Long story short, my daughter lost her ipod. I found 6 months later, but she forgot her password. I tried using a gecko tool kit procedure described here:
http://www.ipho9.com/gecko-toolkit-decrypt-forgotten-iphone-passcode/
It ran for an hour with no luck. I powered the ipod off. Tried to power it on, and nothing. I tried all of the power/home button combinations and still no power. Did I brick it? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

When you said that you couldn't get it start again what exactly does it do? Does the LCD light up at all? On the contrary, it is possible to "brick" an iOS device when jailbreaking but generally doesn't happen. I don't think you could have "bricked" it though.

mephistopheles9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2014
No, you cannot brick an iOS device. Plug it into a computer overnight and restore it through DFU mode with iTunes.

I will leave it plugged in tonight, but pretty sure the battery is already charged. If it won't power on, I can't restore it.

----------

When you said that you couldn't get it start again what exactly does it do? Does the LCD light up at all? On the contrary, it is possible to "brick" an iOS device when jailbreaking but generally doesn't happen. I don't think you could have "bricked" it though.

It's as if the battery had no power, but I am pretty sure it does. It does not light up when I plug it in, nor is it detected as connected to my pc.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Leave it plugged for 1-2 days. If there is no sign of charge then either the battery went dead and/or water/toilet, etc. I would assume it got some water or something and your kid didn't want to reveal it to you so it became 'lost'.

mephistopheles9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2014
Leave it plugged for 1-2 days. If there is no sign of charge then either the battery went dead and/or water/toilet, etc. I would assume it got some water or something and your kid didn't want to reveal it to you so it became 'lost'.

No, there definitely was not water damage, and the battery/power was fine until I ran gecko toolkit to try and figure out her password. It was in a DOS type screen with big letters saying OK. Gecko rran for an hour with no luck so I powered it off and then it would not come back on.

I suspect i screwed up the firmware following this step:

Step 3. Run the Gecko iPhone Toolkit and pick the model you’ve. Click on the Boot option to get started and pick the firmware you’d from very start [the initial version of operating system, not the updated one]. The application will display IPSW file you will need and you can search it and download just in case you do not have it.

FYI - I used this file: iPod4,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It may be stuck in DFU mode. I'd suggest leaving it unplugged for a very long time until the battery dies, then plugging it in again and trying DFU mode. Or pressing and holding both buttons for one minute to force a hardware reset.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'd hold down the home and power buttons until an Apple logo or Connect to iTunes logo appears. If it is in DFU mode or some sort of recovery mode, holding down the buttons should force the iPod out of it.

Apple has had me put my iPhone in DFU just to take it back out to see if it fixed an issue (it didn't), so it should work.

If this doesn't work, connect the iPod back to iTunes and let it sit for a while (overnight if needed). It should in theory pick it up as a device in Recovery Mode and allow you to restore it to the latest firmware version (for the iPod touch 4th Gen, 6.1.6).

manofbread

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Me too!

So, I think we have a somewhat similar situation here, in that my son's 4g will NOT start nor show any signs of life whatsoever. He was playing with it yesterday while it was plugged in and when his finger drifted near the power cord he experienced a "shock". My thought is that he picked up a charge on the carpet and the rubber cover on the ipod kept everything insulated until he touched or go near the metal at the end of the cord, allowing a spark to jump over.

Long story short: I cannot get this thing to fire up.

I have tried plugging it into the computer, holding both buttons at the same time to do a restart, etc.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it if it weren't for the things he's created on this unit that haven't been backed up.

Thanks!

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
So, I think we have a somewhat similar situation here, in that my son's 4g will NOT start nor show any signs of life whatsoever. He was playing with it yesterday while it was plugged in and when his finger drifted near the power cord he experienced a "shock". My thought is that he picked up a charge on the carpet and the rubber cover on the ipod kept everything insulated until he touched or go near the metal at the end of the cord, allowing a spark to jump over.

Long story short: I cannot get this thing to fire up.

I have tried plugging it into the computer, holding both buttons at the same time to do a restart, etc.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it if it weren't for the things he's created on this unit that haven't been backed up.

Thanks!
That shock must have been electrostatic energy or some kind of short circuit. This is not normal and the shock probably killed the device. I don't think it will work anymore, but you can try to plug it in for a long time and follow one of these Dfu videos on YouTube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.