Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

temen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Hi,
I'm not doing anything very high cpu/gpu demanding - for example now I have just opened some tabs in chrome, Mail.app, Calendar.app, Spotify, iTerm, Terminal, KeePassX, PYM Player, Wunderlist, Skype
...but very often my macbook's getting loud and hot.
For example current temperatures from iStat menus:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xa7eohlxucu80c/Screenshot 2014-02-23 03.10.30.png

I'd appreciate any opinion, especially from owners of the same retina macbook.. I have apple care, but to be honest I miss my 17'' macbook (early 2011), it feel like it was better (at least from sound/temperature point of view)
How do you guys find retina macbooks?

btw. few minutes since previous screenshot, fans got quieter and temperatures are better: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqw0l29jnxwhtpx/Screenshot 2014-02-23 03.16.00.png

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
People Expect Smaller & Faster, and so you get __ ..

I really think you could consider a 'Fast New rMBP' not unlike an Italian Sports Car: there is a lot of Horsepower jammed into a small space and it makes Noise and Heat when you use it, and maybe a LOT of Both, if you Drive It Hard..

I have resigned myself to the fact that if you do not accept that as part of the consequences of using it, then perhaps a 'Fine Quality DELL Family Sedan' might be in order.. Hmmmmm.. Not my choice, but all I see in the future for some.. :rolleyes:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi,
I'm not doing anything very high cpu/gpu demanding - for example now I have just opened some tabs in chrome, Mail.app, Calendar.app, Spotify, iTerm, Terminal, KeePassX, PYM Player, Wunderlist, Skype
...but very often my macbook's getting loud and hot.
For example current temperatures from iStat menus:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xa7eohlxucu80c/Screenshot 2014-02-23 03.10.30.png

I'd appreciate any opinion, especially from owners of the same retina macbook.. I have apple care, but to be honest I miss my 17'' macbook (early 2011), it feel like it was better (at least from sound/temperature point of view)
How do you guys find retina macbooks?

btw. few minutes since previous screenshot, fans got quieter and temperatures are better: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqw0l29jnxwhtpx/Screenshot 2014-02-23 03.16.00.png

Chrome is a resource hog and it's no surprise your rMBP is heating up, because of it.

I use Safari and Firefox and it never happens on my rMBP.

kittencounter

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
When the fan hits 6000 rpm its pretty loud. What does the PYM player do? Don't forget to use the HTML5 Player for YouTube..just in case. You can also force the rMBP to use the Intel graphic card all the time. It helps a lot with the temperature in case many apps just kick start the dGPU when you don't really need. Take a look on the activity monitor to see what process use most CPU. On mine the situation looks like this:

* Light weight use (Browsing + music + coding + mail..): fan around 2000 rpm - cool
* Normal use (Heavy IDE compiling, Adobe stuffs, ...): fan around 3000 - 3500 rpm - slightly warm
* Game mode: fan around 4000 - 5000 rpm (noticeable) - warm to slightly hot
* Hardware check mode: fan at max 6000+ rpm (like jets engine)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
OP: Your CPU load is around 40% (hard to tell from the tiny graph). I can't tell you what it is (could be some video playing in a browser), but I can tell you for sure that any MBP with a 40%-ish load on the CPU will heat up and make fan noise.

Now on the second screenshot it seems the load dropped a bit (maybe to 25%, is hard to say...), so this explains why you experience a cool down. Learn to understand how your machine responds to what you are doing, and you should at least understand why it gets hot sometimes.

Just a simple example: I sometimes enjoy watching some twitch.tv stream. For some reason their stream is one of the worst that are available, and is enough to make my MBP warm and noisy, with nothing else running.

Another thing I noticed is that (in Chrome) there is a big difference between keeping a stream running in a separate window in the background, or keeping it in a non-active tab. The latter saves a lot of resources.

temen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
When the fan hits 6000 rpm its pretty loud. What does the PYM player do?
this is frontend/gui for mplayer (video player)

OP: Your CPU load is around 40% (hard to tell from the tiny graph).

kittencounter, thundersteele - thank you!
I found 2 ouc processes (some daemons from huawei installed with drivers to usb lte modem) and they were taking 70-80% cpu (single core of course)
killing them and removing from /Library/StartupItems helped a lot.

stupid me, didn't looked at process list.

bobcan, this is my 3rd macbook. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I know something about apple machines and osx system, so thanks for your reply... but no, thanks. :p

Grumpyman

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2013
CPU Temp app

seen so many of these threads, i have a late 13 15" with the dGPU and would like to know how on earth you measure the temp...
I've seen iStat and others mentioned but all i see in the app store is a load of old guff which doesn't do the job.
any recommendations for a good app that does the job.
my rMBP runs very very hot if I do anything that kicks in the dGPU
cheers

temen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
(...)
I've seen iStat and others mentioned but all i see in the app store is a load of old guff which doesn't do the job.
any recommendations for a good app that does the job.
In my opinion iStat menus are perfect. I even bought them when they became non-free ;)
http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

----------

Does the new base model without the Gpu run cooler?

On gpu demending app/games probably yes, but with discrete gpu you can set option "run integrated gpu only" at gfxCardStatus.app
Of course question is if there's any sense in buying notebook with extra graphic card only not to use it. Or second question if you could use sometimes extra gpu power.
Up to you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
On gpu demending app/games probably yes, but with discrete gpu you can set option "run integrated gpu only" at gfxCardStatus.app
Of course question is if there's any sense in buying notebook with extra graphic card only not to use it. Or second question if you could use sometimes extra gpu power.
Up to you.

I've always preferred the dGPU, mostly because the iGPU has always been under-powered but given how Intel has improved the iGPU over the last few years. I'd have to give it some serious consideration.

I think if you're playing games the iGPU model is more then enough for most people.

If you have a dual GPU model, and the dGPU is affecting the heat, there's no reason to keep it activated, why not switch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.