Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Just wondering, may eventually sign up for a Steam account, as there are a couple of available-on-Steam-only OSX games that are finally must-haves for me.

I've browsed the Steam website for some time, looking at their list of games. Seems like the website requires Flash for videos and other elements to work properly. Does this imply that the Steam client/app requires Flash?

I'm not crazy about having to install Flash into my iMac, which has been running flawlessly in the past year sans Flash.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
I’ve got the steam client on my system and no flash installed. Videos play fine within the steam client. So at least for playback in the steam client there is no requirement for an external flash player to be installed.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I removed Adobe flash a while ago and found some things just did not work in general, do not recall what now.

Last edited:

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Note that, on OS X, Steam is 32-bit only and Flash seems to have issues when running in 32-bit mode. This doesn't affect Steam movies, but it does affect YouTube videos.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I’ve got the steam client on my system and no flash installed. Videos play fine within the steam client. So at least for playback in the steam client there is no requirement for an external flash player to be installed.

Do you remember if the Steam client itself automatically installs Flash into the Mac? If it does, I might be tempted to remove it (Flash) after the fact.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Do you remember if the Steam client itself automatically installs Flash into the Mac? If it does, I might be tempted to remove it (Flash) after the fact.

As far as I can remember the Steam client does not install Flash on the Mac.

Well, actually I have never installed Flash on my Mac, but I have Steam installed. Whenever I hit a website which requires Flash I get a message telling me about a missing plugin. So whatever Steam uses to play its videos - it is not a system-wide available Flash plugin.

When browsing the contents of the Steam.app package I see several libraries in the osx32 folder which seem to be related to video playback. Like libavcodec.55.dylib.crypt etc. My guess is that the libraries to play videos in the Steam client are all contained in the steam.app bundle. So my bet is that you can remove Flash from your Mac and still play all videos in the Steam client. (And even if I’m wrong, reinstalling Flash is a matter of a few mouse clicks.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.