Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gomattgo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
Hi guys and gals,

I want to have a go at coding/programming in Xcode but I haven't got a MacBook. I don't want to spend to much money on a MBP but also I don't want to find that the MBP that I've brought is no good for the job. So really I'm asking for advice to avoid any pitfalls really.

I just want to buy a 2nd-hand one at the moment, just to start off with. I'm looking at something like:
Apple macbook pro 15.4 inch screen 2.4ghz Inter core 2 duo processor 2008, has the following spec. Model A1260
200GB Hard Drive, 2GB Ram, Osx Snow Leopard.

It's only 300 quid, would something like this be okay?

Cheers!

Silon

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
Should be fine. Keep in mind you probably have to invest into a new battery if you're buying second hand.

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
Hi guys and gals,

I want to have a go at coding/programming in Xcode but I haven't got a MacBook. I don't want to spend to much money on a MBP but also I don't want to find that the MBP that I've brought is no good for the job. So really I'm asking for advice to avoid any pitfalls really.

I just want to buy a 2nd-hand one at the moment, just to start off with. I'm looking at something like:
Apple macbook pro 15.4 inch screen 2.4ghz Inter core 2 duo processor 2008, has the following spec. Model A1260

Cheers!

Why not run xcode in a VM?

Example:http://www.uaialternativa.com/mac-mountain-xcode-windows/

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi guys and gals,

Cheers!
Run from nVidia equipped 2007/2008 MBP like you would from the bubonic plague. You're buying a ticking time bomb whose logicboard can and will kick the bucket at a moment's notice.

Buy something more recent, you'll thank me.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I believe Snow Leopard comes with the previous version of XCode and you must buy the update. If you're going to learn something, there's no sense sticking info in your head that's already out of date. Unless you plan on updating to the free Mavericks. But I don't know that 2GB RAM is ideal for Mavericks.

Personally, I'd buy a new or recent refurbished mini, to play around with programming. Unless you need the portability for some reason.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I believe Snow Leopard comes with the previous version of XCode and you must buy the update. If you're going to learn something, there's no sense sticking info in your head that's already out of date. Unless you plan on updating to the free Mavericks. But I don't know that 2GB RAM is ideal for Mavericks.

Personally, I'd buy a new or recent refurbished mini, to play around with programming. Unless you need the portability for some reason.

Good point on the Mac mini as far as an economical choice. Last year I wanted to get one for the family to use, so I started keeping an eye on Craigslist. Found a lightly used one from a good seller, complete with Applecare. Great deal. Apple even replaced the wireless keyboard which was going on the fritz because it was originally purchased with the Mini.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I also recommend to stay away from the 2007/2008 batch of MBPs, in particular those that came with the 8600M GT Nvidia graphics card. This card is well known to have caused many logic board failures that render the machines unusable.

Another argument for a newer machine is the support for more modern OSX versions. While the 2007/8 MBPs are still supported by Mavericks, I could imagine that the next version might drop support.

Something used from 2010/2011 or a mac mini might be good options. I would mostly look for 13'' machines - they are cheaper and the 2011 15'' models are already showing signs of increased GPU failures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.