Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinAppleTosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Looks like best buy has the Air for $50 off and the mini is $20 off.

Thought I'd also ask what people's opinions were on which would be better for annotating notes during class.
The main reason I'm looking to get one is to avoid the large amount of lecture notes I'm currently printing off before every class and instead save them on an iPad and and take notes that way.
Is the mini going to be to small for writing detailed equations and such with a stylus?
(side note: I already own an iPhone and a mbp so I'm really on the fence about getting an iPad as well)

I also saw that iPads do not have an active digitizer and was wondering if I'd be better off going for a tablet that does, as my primary use for one would be writing on it with a stylus.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
A lot of us have all three: MB, iPhone and iPad. I have use for all three, and I made sure did. I say go for it, but find time for all three. My iPhone is always near, though. However, most of my friends and family have iPhones, so when I'm on my iPad, I can still text and FaceTime them. I usually use my MBP for hardcore stuff such as Photoshop, editing videos, etc.

Oh, no, I don't think the Mini would be too small.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
If you plan on writing a lot, I'd recommend getting a Surface Pro (I know, I know, windows tablet on a mac site? Blasphemy!). However, These days they're getting around 450-500 for a 128gb one and their wacom active digitizer is probably the best in the market. I have both and I can't stand writing on an iPad with the big fat pens. Having 1024 pressure points is a MUST for long term writing.
YMMV for that, but imo once you start using wacom digitizers, you can't go back.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
I have found that I can take pretty precise notes on either the Air or rMini. I have the rMini now and use noteshelf and a gosmart stylus. This combo works for me to take lengthy notes, with great detail. Its slightly easier on the Air because you have a little more space, but it's definitely doable on either tablet. You just have to find the right app/stylus combo.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I would say stick with an iPad, because you have some very good PDF apps you could take advantage off. Writing with a stylus isn't terrible on the iPad, with some of the capabilities they have now (look into good notes). Don't get a device that only gets a few hours of battery time, for only marginal improvement of writing abilities.

Look at good notes and iannotate. If you're receiving slides, you could save the files, open them in either of those apps, and annotate directly on the files.

I use to do that, and it worked great. Also look at background recording apps. I would have one running during the class, so I would have an audio copy saved on the iPad.

I would go for the 32 gig air..

Americasteam

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2014
Glad I seen this thread. Got my Air last week, so I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow at lunch for a cool $75 refund!

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Like one of the above posters stated that a Surface Pro with stylus would be better. However, don't count out one of the Note tablets from Samsung. I know, it's android! For the best note taking stylus the s pen is tops (I've used several surface pros' stlyi and they're just not as good as the spen). For example, the Note 8 is perfect for one-handed use. Also, the larger sizes work great, as well. It wouldn't hurt to check them out.

MacinAppleTosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Like one of the above posters stated that a Surface Pro with stylus would be better. However, don't count out one of the Note tablets from Samsung. I know, it's android! For the best note taking stylus the s pen is tops (I've used several surface pros' stlyi and they're just not as good as the spen). For example, the Note 8 is perfect for one-handed use. Also, the larger sizes work great, as well. It wouldn't hurt to check them out.

The note is definitely a contender and it seems like it has the best handwriting capabilities for the price. The one thing holding me back from something non-apple is I do have a lot of money invested into iTunes plus I have a sizable amount of credit still to spend on the iTunes store from gift cards and such.
(those guys at apple know what they're doing haha)

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I've used both my iPad 4 and mini for notes. the larger iPad does have more room to write, but i find it harder to write with the room because my palm ends up touching the screen and ruining it anyways. i use my mini for notes now.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I have an iPhone, a rMBP, and an iPad mini. The mini, for me, is the perfect size for a tablet. I didn't need a bigger screen for a tablet because I got my laptop for that. Besides, it's perfect for reading and I'm sure it'll be just as good for you writing notes on it as well. I don't see anything wrong with getting a mini. It's a great iPad!

Tech guy

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
I am dealing with the desision, They are both wonderfull devices. If u do a lot of reading the big one may be better. I am looking at the many for the smaller size to use in bed but not sure yet.
Enjoy your ipad

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Got a 32gb Air this morning AND an additional 10% off because it was an open box. I inspected it closely and saw no scratches or dings.

Woot!

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yeah I got the 32 mini retina back when it was 50 off. They said if I signed up with verizon I'd get 100 off too. I declined and put a tmo sim in it

MacinAppleTosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Heading out to best buy today and i'm still wondering how the iPad fares with a capacitive digitizer for handwriting.
If my main use for a tablet is taking handwritten notes, would I be better off with a tablet with active digitizer?
Anyone had experience with both that can say how big of a difference this makes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.