Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Belly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Ireland
I have a collection of operas on dvd. I would like to be able to extract the audio only from the discs for transfer to my 5G ipod. I know I can extract the main feature but I don't really want to watch them on my ipod, just listening will do. Transferring the whole movie takes up a lot of space and playback will, I presume, be bad for battery life when all I want to do is listen.

So, can I just extract the audio and transfer to my ipod? And of course, if the answer is 'yes', how do I do it?

Any suggestions/advice will be most appreciated.

rb

turtlemh

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
I have this program that would do that, its called creative wave studio. You would just record it while the dvd is playing. The sound quality is great, and it came with my computer. :)

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2005
California
Interesting, so many different tools. Not sure how mine compares, but it's probably the longer cheaper way.

Use the advanced version of "Mac the Ripper" set to individual audio chapters to rip without video.
You'll get the raw PCM audio tracks that DVDs are recorded in.

The convert the PCM audio files using "aiff from PCM" tool
or MacAC3dec if the are in dolby digital only.
An .aiff file is raw CD format. You can then compress or convert to your format of choose or burn direct to cd (in iTunes).

Takes a little time, but not too onerous. Matching tracks to titles is a bit off and might require relabeling in iTunes.

See versiontracker.com for tools.

Red Belly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Ireland
many thanks for the pointers and apologies for covering old ground.

FWIW, (and just in case there are any other opera fans interested in doing the same) I did the following and it works very well:

I used 'Mac the Ripper' to extract the main feature from the dvd and I used 'Handbrake' to convert the video into a format usable on my ipod. This is as per http://guides.macrumors.com/How_to_Rip_a_DVD_to_a_Gen5_iPod
An additional very useful feature of Handbrake is that I could select english subtitles and incorporate them into the final movie, very useful for Italian opera! The conversion process was extremely long and I guess the incorporation of subtitles slowed it down, definitely an overnight job.

I used a programme called MPEG Streamclip to demux the original vob file from the main feature I had ripped to my hard drive with MTR. This gave me an AIFF audio file and a m2v movie file. I imported the AIFF file to itunes and used itunes to divide it into tracks and convert from aiff to mp3.

Finally I burned the mp4 (the ipod usable movie), the AIFF audio file (very large) and the mp3s onto a data dvd as a backup and finally I deleted everything I didn't need cluttering up my hard drive, keeping only the movie version for my ipod and the mp3s on my ibook.

All of the software I used was free. It was a bit fiddly dividing up the aiff into seperate tracks but other than that very straightforward.

rb

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
FWIW, (and just in case there are any other opera fans interested in doing the same) I did the following and it works very well:

Yes that approach works very well; I now have the complete Boulez/Chéreau Ring Cycle video on my iPod ripped from the DVDs, sung in German with English subtitles. :)

FWIW I didn't use MTR, I used Handbrake and did it in one step, just for iPod.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
MPEG streamclip will take the audio straight off the dvd, saving you a step in the process. Just open the .VOB files and from the export section, choose Demux to AIFF or your preferred format. Its pretty easy to convert after that.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I just use Handbrake to rip the DVD to my mac, then open it on Quicktime, export sound to aiff, open it in iTunes and convert it to mp3 or AAC.

Clarrie

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2007
anjinhamarota

How do you open the DVD in Quicktime?

I've ripped my entire library with MacTheRipper and saved it on a 1Tb HDD. I can't open any of the DVDs with Quicktime. :(

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
How do you open the DVD in Quicktime?

I've ripped my entire library with MacTheRipper and saved it on a 1Tb HDD. I can't open any of the DVDs with Quicktime. :(
In DVD Player, choose File> Open DVD Media... and then select the VIDEO_TS folder from the MTR'd folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.