Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Hello everybody,

I have just bought an Ipod classic 2nd generation for windows.
It is a 2002 model.
Although this is a windows version, can I use it with a mac?
How can I do?

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Yes, you should be able to. Have you not tried? Macs can read windows format. But to make it more reliable you should format it to HFS instead of FAT ;)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have just bought an Ipod classic 2nd generation for windows.
It is a 2002 model.
Although this is a windows version, can I use it with a mac?
How can I do?

That iPod is Firewire only (no USB or the later 30-pin connector)
You can change it to a Mac version simply by restoring through iTunes on a Mac.
You may need to find an older iTunes version that still supports the firewire connection. That support, I think, was dropped in iTunes 9 and later.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
That iPod is Firewire only (no USB or the later 30-pin connector)
You can change it to a Mac version simply by restoring through iTunes on a Mac.
You may need to find an older iTunes version that still supports the firewire connection. That support, I think, was dropped in iTunes 9 and later.

I think its obvious its only FireWire ;)
You are also so wrong about iTunes my friend. Jimmy, you just find a FireWire cable and connect to your Mac (with FW port). It works fine with all versions of iTunes!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Your problem will be that the FireWire cable won't fit on your Mac as it's an old specification. I can't use my 3rd generation iPod with its included FireWire cable on my 2011 MacBook Pro for example.

jimmysummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Thank you everybody for your answers.

Everything is OK now. I manage to use it only with iTunes 7 on my iMac G4.
iTunes 8 and more don't recognize the iPod and I don't manage to restore it with iTunes 6 and less.

benjyhe

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Thank you everybody for your answers.

Everything is OK now. I manage to use it only with iTunes 7 on my iMac G4.
iTunes 8 and more don't recognize the iPod and I don't manage to restore it with iTunes 6 and less.

Just wanted to confirm for anyone looking at this in the future you DO NOT need an old version of iTunes. I'm running iTunes 12.3 on El Capitan and a 2nd gen Windows formatted iPod was recognized in iTunes and I have the option to restore and even update it to a newer software version. For the record it's connected with a FW400->800(Harddrive)->FW800->Thunderbolt adapter in my iMac. So I'm pretty sure any cord combination you can come up with will work :)

Ueuezaza

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2020
Italy
Just wanted to confirm for anyone looking at this in the future you DO NOT need an old version of iTunes. I'm running iTunes 12.3 on El Capitan and a 2nd gen Windows formatted iPod was recognized in iTunes and I have the option to restore and even update it to a newer software version. For the record it's connected with a FW400->800(Harddrive)->FW800->Thunderbolt adapter in my iMac. So I'm pretty sure any cord combination you can come up with will work :)
Thanks, will try that out tomorrow..with the only difference that I need t add a third adapter from Thubderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3/USB-C hahao_O

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I use a 2nd Gen 20GB iPod 'classic' I'm using with iTunes 12.5 running on macOS Sierra 10.12.5 on a 2012 13" MacBook Pro. To connect the iPod to the Mac, I used a Firewire 800 to 400 cable. iPod syncs just fine, no problems at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.