Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
It seems now if we want to protect our iPhone 5 from the latest security issue we will need to upgrade to iOS 7.0.6. I do not like the looks of iOS 7 and have put off upgrading, so I'm not happy about going forward with this. I wish Apple gave us an iOS 6 iPhone 5 patch for this issue.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You should be thankful that Apple hasn't made the update mandatory and forced the device to update to it without your permission. While iOS does have the ability of a forced OTA update, Apple has never used it.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Some sources claim the attacker has to be in the same local network. So maybe that security hole might not be dangerous to everyone, for example if you only use your own secured networks. Haven't read enough yet to be sure though.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know there are some die hard people hanging onto iOS 6 with dear life, but generally speaking, Apple probably doesn't care to focus on patching iOS 6 when iOS 7 is where they are at and clearly want to be.

It is a damn shame because I realize this basically kills a lot of jail breaks and such.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I can empathize, but apple does not operate this way, they typically only update their current OS.

security updates should be separate. have they stopped being separate updates on mac os?

maybe this is what they mean when they say apple operates much like a startup. because it seems they have less funds and resources than one

I know there are some die hard people hanging onto iOS 6 with dear life, but generally speaking, Apple probably doesn't care to focus on patching iOS 6 when iOS 7 is where they are at and clearly want to be.

It is a damn shame because I realize this basically kills a lot of jail breaks and such.

well they just released an update for the 3gs and ipod touch 4th gen.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Still on iOS6/iphone 5...I noticed I have only 1 software update 7.0.6 to fix the SSL problem the file size is 1.2 GB, I wonder if I update to this will it also update the entire iOS7 or just the SSL update? Has anyone tried this?

I'm also thinking the reason it may say this for me is because the original main iOS7 update that was 3 GB may already have been downloaded automatically when I connected to wifi and to iTunes so that might be why it's only saying I have 1 update.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Still on iOS6/iphone 5...I noticed I have only 1 software update 7.0.6 to fix the SSL problem the file size is 1.2 GB, I wonder if I update to this will it also update the entire iOS7 or just the SSL update? Has anyone tried this?

I'm also thinking the reason it may say this for me is because the original main iOS7 update that was 3 GB may already have been downloaded automatically when I connected to wifi and to iTunes so that might be why it's only saying I have 1 update.

that 1 update of 1.2 GB is to update the entire OS to 7.0.6 (so you could say it's the entire iOS 7 package)

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
that 1 update of 1.2 GB is to update the entire OS to 7.0.6 (so you could say it's the entire iOS 7 package)

I thought the entire iOS7 was like 3 GB I could have swore I remember seeing the original iOS7 software update on my phone (before this one) and it was a lot large file size.

----------

Sorry...I see you are right...the 7.0.6 is only 35 MB
Apple is lumping this update with the original entire iOS7. I just noticed this. argh!!

I just can't stand the music app in iOS7 with all that white, otherwise I would have upgraded. This is bad news for iOS6 owners.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I thought the entire iOS7 was like 3 GB I could have swore I remember seeing the original iOS7 software update on my phone (before this one) and it was a lot large file size.

----------

Sorry...I see you are right...the 7.0.6 is only 35 MB
Apple is lumping this update with the original entire iOS7. I just noticed this. argh!!

I just can't stand the music app in iOS7 with all that white, otherwise I would have upgraded. This is bad news for iOS6 owners.

the entire 7.0.6 package download is around 1.2 GB

yes, it does suck that you'll be forced to upgrade to iOS 7 for this SSL problem :/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can empathize, but apple does not operate this way, they typically only update their current OS.
The did patch iOS 6 too, but only made it available to devices that don't officially support iOS 7. That is to say that the iOS 6 patch for this has actually been released, but Apple chose not to do it for devices that could upgrade to iOS 7 (even if they are still running iOS 6 which can be patched).

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I want to upgrade to iOS 7, I really do but can't stand the pastel colors and the flat looking icons. Functionality it is more advanced, yet aesthetically it's a step backwards for an adult male.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I want to upgrade to iOS 7, I really do but can't stand the pastel colors and the flat looking icons. Functionality it is more advanced, yet aesthetically it's a step backwards for an adult male.
Aesthetics are the least of it. I was "forced" to upgrade my iPad4 from 6.1.3 to 7.0.6. Performance took a noticeable hit. :( Swapping between apps, pinching apps to close, animations, are all noticeably sluggish. Chrome now crashes about once a day.

Up until that point (installing 7.0.6), the iPad had been the most responsive, fluidly smooth tablet I've owned. Loved it. Now... I'm not pleased.

edit: before anyone suggests wiping clean and clean installing... done that. No difference.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I upgraded my iphone 5 to iOS 7.0.6 couple days ago, I knew I wasn't going to jailbreak and wanted the patch. So far no crashes at all..today I did a full restore through iTunes to see if I could get better battery but mostly because I after I installed the update I was still showing 3 GB of "Other" so I did a full restore, wipe and reinstalled the iOS 7.0.6 then did a restore from prev backup, took a long time because I have over 40 GB of music so after all that...I got rid of the 3 GB of Other and now it shows less than 1 GB of Other so I think there was some corrupt data because my free space went up by 3 GB total (that made me happy). I will be testing the next couple days battery life, right now I'm at 28% with usage at 6 hrs 6 mins, standby at 9 hrs 24 mins. So well see. I still prefer iOS6 but what can I do, trying to get use to how it all looks, still too much white and noticable lag. I hope 7.1 fixes the lag and gives us darker theme.

I'm playing with iTunes radio now, 70's station playing...I kinda like it, stuck in the 70's can skip a few but all are full songs kinda cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.