Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2014, 03:55 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mad Catz Debuts 'C.T.R.L.i' Wireless iOS 7 Game Controller

Gaming peripheral company Mad Catz has debuted its C.T.R.L.i iOS 7 gaming controller at Mobile World Congress 2014, reports Engadget. The offering from Mad Catz brings yet another choice to the iOS gaming controller market that saw the release of the SteelSeries Stratus last month and the Logitech PowerShell and MOGA Ace Power last year.

Similar to the Stratus, the C.T.R.L.i can connect to any iOS 7 device through Bluetooth instead of using a Lightning port, and includes a spring-loaded mount that can be used with the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c. The controller itself is based on Mad Catz's popular MLG Pro Circuit Controller for the Xbox 360, and features console-style controls such as a directional pad, two analog sticks, four face buttons, shoulder bumpers, and left and right triggers. The C.T.R.L.i's Bluetooth capabilities also allows connectivity for up to four controllers.

At the current point in time, multiple games offer iOS 7 controller support, including titles like Rayman Fiesta Run, Dead Trigger 2, and Asphalt 8: Airborne. Additional developers have also pledged to build controller support into their apps now that hardware is available to consumers, as more iOS games appear to be receiving updates that enable game controller support.

The Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i iOS 7 gaming controller will be available for $80 in April, and will come in colors of black, white, red, blue, and orange.

Article Link: Mad Catz Debuts 'C.T.R.L.i' Wireless iOS 7 Game Controller
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 03:58 AM   #2
jayden
macrumors newbie

Love my M.M.O.7 - I'm sure this thing will work great.
jayden is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:01 AM   #3
Icaras
macrumors 601

Likewise, liking my Stratus controller a lot. Just wishing they would release the white controller stateside.

Oh and Gameloft, please update Asphalt 8 so that controllers work in menus too please? Thank you very much.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:09 AM   #4
Zeov
macrumors 6502a

this is great!

but sadly going way to slow
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:17 AM   #5
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

Interested. I wonder if it will work with the ipad 3, my understanding is that the steelseries bluetooth does not. (I suspect it is an apple ios limitation, vs a controller limitation however....)

There should be same good choices when I upgrade to my next ipad in a year or so....
Richdmoore is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:36 AM   #6
easy-peasy
macrumors regular

This MFI controller looks like the best one yet due to the holder on top to place your phone while you play instead of making the controller a really long rectangle.

Too bad they still are charging a ludicrous $70 - $80 for these controllers. I'll wait for the next few generations when the prices drop somewhere between $40 - $50.
easy-peasy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:51 AM   #7
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

all this seems a step backwards to the 80's. So clunky.
Zxxv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:57 AM   #8
ikir
macrumors 6502a

I used to like Mad Catz, but they took an age to support Mavericks with M.O.U.S. 9 and I've switched to Roccat, they have much better OS X software.
This gamepad is nice but I will buy Stratus.
ikir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 05:12 AM   #9
Dagless
macrumors Core

Looks like a cheap knock-off Xbox 360 controller.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 05:29 AM   #10
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

you can already use your ps4 controller for your phone...
x-evil-x is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 05:40 AM   #11
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
Not to mention that for typical platformers, the XBOX controller layout is inferior to that of the DualShock.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 05:46 AM   #12
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

Someone else who thinks playing games with a controller on iPhone is stupid?
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Baklava is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:11 AM   #13
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

this belongs into the same category as smartwatches - Stupid & Useless
Smartass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:19 AM   #14
mbarriault
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
Without jailbreaking?
mbarriault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:24 AM   #15
Unami
macrumors regular

mfi-controller-support for rayman - fiesta run ? really?

the controller looks good, tough.
Unami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:30 AM   #16
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeov View Post
this is great!

but sadly going way to slow
Agree! I love that another controller is being released, but it's going agonisingly slowly, I thought by now there'd be 10s of controllers on the market easily. Still waiting for the perfect one, not yet taken by the ones available yet, but I'm sure it's coming, just a bit longer to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baklava View Post
Someone else who thinks playing games with a controller on iPhone is stupid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
this belongs into the same category as smartwatches - Stupid & Useless
What's the point of these comments? To make those of us who actually think they're interesting products feel bad about ourselves and our opinions, or to bolster your own opinions of yourselves, or both?

It blows me away that people feel compelled to go into a thread just to drop a flaming turd in the room because you don't see the point and this isn't interesting to you. If it's not a topic you find interesting, I've got a suggestion ...
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:48 AM   #17
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Not $99, not buying... Wait a minute!? LOL!

$80 seems reasonable. Considering that they probably won't sell millions of units, production cost will be higher than let's say a PS3/4 controller.
RightMACatU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:09 AM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Looks like the best iOS controller I've seen yet, not that that's saying much.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:10 AM   #19
Sky Blue

Looks good, but not paying $80 for it.
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:18 AM   #20
kaltsasa
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to kaltsasa Send a message via MSN to kaltsasa Send a message via Yahoo to kaltsasa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Not to mention that for typical platformers, the XBOX controller layout is inferior to that of the DualShock.
We're going to have to disagree on that one son.

----------

I'm interested in this one because it looks like maybe my iPhone with Mophie case would actually fit in that holder.
kaltsasa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:22 AM   #21
MattSepeta
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MattSepeta
If I wanted to slap some accessories on my phone just to play a game, I might as well bring use a PSP which is smaller than this controller. Or wait and play xbox or PC later.

I cant imagine the market sustaining too many of these ios controllers for too long..
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:30 AM   #22
Ivan0310
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post
Without jailbreaking?
No. Which is the whole issue--for those of us that want a PnP product that doesn't require jacking with the phone's OS, we'll have to wait for the fruits of this program.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:43 AM   #23
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

You had me at...

Wait...

$80?!?!?

What?

<clicks next thread>

Good luck with that.
Zimmy68 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:02 AM   #24
MisakixMikasa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
Agree! I love that another controller is being released, but it's going agonisingly slowly, I thought by now there'd be 10s of controllers on the market easily. Still waiting for the perfect one, not yet taken by the ones available yet, but I'm sure it's coming, just a bit longer to wait.

What's the point of these comments? To make those of us who actually think they're interesting products feel bad about ourselves and our opinions, or to bolster your own opinions of yourselves, or both?

It blows me away that people feel compelled to go into a thread just to drop a flaming turd in the room because you don't see the point and this isn't interesting to you. If it's not a topic you find interesting, I've got a suggestion ...
Because play games on the phone with controller is pointless. If I am going to get a mobile game player, I would get PSP or PS Vita. Lots more interesting games and more comfort to use than iPhone with Mi-Fi controller.

Also I would rather playing FPS, racing games, PRG games on xBox or PS or PC. Bigger screen always means better gaming experience.
MisakixMikasa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:23 AM   #25
Sven11
macrumors 6502a

After 'C.T.R.L.i' we can expect 'A.L.T.i" and 'Delete.i'.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion