Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:54 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

WhatsApp to Add Voice Calling in Q2 2014

WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum has announced at Mobile World Congress 2014 that the company will add voice calling to its popular messaging platform in Q2 2014, reports TechCrunch. The voice service will be added to iOS and Android first, with other platforms receiving the update at an unannounced future date.
Quote:
We use the least amount of bandwidth and we use the hell out of it," he said. "We will focus on simplicity." Voice will come to Android and iOS first and then following on some Nokia and BlackBerry phones, he added.
Koum also announced the popular cross-platform messaging service has grown to 465 million monthly active users and 330 million daily users, an increase of 15 million from the statistics released last December. The company recently was acquired by Facebook in a deal worth up to $19 billion, including $4 billion in cash, $12 billion in Facebook stock and an additional $3 billion in employee restricted stock units.

Little will change for WhatsApp users following the Facebook acquisition. Koum assured users the service will remain autonomous and operate independently of Facebook. It also won't change its "no marketing, no ads" strategy and will continue to remain reasonably priced with a $0.99 annual fee after the first free year.

Article Link: WhatsApp to Add Voice Calling in Q2 2014
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:01 AM   #2
AppleP59
macrumors 6502

FaceTime

Why not go straight to video chat. And take out FaceTime
AppleP59 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:08 AM   #3
khfoong
macrumors newbie

facetime is good..

whatsapp aims to be simple...
the enemy is TELCOS... charging us airtime..

Kills the telcos..
khfoong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Gotta compete with Telegram, people rapidly deleting accounts at the speed facebook isn't liking. QUICK tell everyone we're adding call support.
Serelus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:09 AM   #5
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaredh View Post
Possibly bandwith issues?
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:33 AM   #6
yoz-y
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serelus View Post
Gotta compete with Telegram, people rapidly deleting accounts at the speed facebook isn't liking. QUICK tell everyone we're adding call support.
Hm, I installed Telegram and asked around if people were interested. Nope, everybody uses Facebook Messenger or plain SMS, in France that is.
yoz-y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Rushli0n
macrumors regular

Will this mean that devices like iPod Touches will finally be allowed to use this app?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Parasprite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaredh View Post
Because the company was acquired by Facebook, not Apple.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Chazz08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serelus View Post
I live where EVERYONE uses Whatsapp. The outage the other day made some people start downloading it. It's nice and simple to use, although I'm sure the servers are overloaded now with the mass downloads. It's free though, with no future plans of charging money. Right now, everyone here had whatsapp for free for years, but now that they are going to start charging, I'm interested to see what happens. Most people here don't have cards attached to their accounts, so they wouldn't be able to pay for it.
Chazz08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz-y View Post
Hm, I installed Telegram and asked around if people were interested. Nope, everybody uses Facebook Messenger or plain SMS, in France that is.
I live in the netherlands, people aren't to happy with Facebooks purchase.

And when I first joined already 10 people were on telegram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz08 View Post
I live where EVERYONE uses Whatsapp. The outage the other day made some people start downloading it. It's nice and simple to use, although I'm sure the servers are overloaded now with the mass downloads. It's free though, with no future plans of charging money. Right now, everyone here had whatsapp for free for years, but now that they are going to start charging, I'm interested to see what happens. Most people here don't have cards attached to their accounts, so they wouldn't be able to pay for it.
Honestly I just want the 16 billion they spend to go to waiste. Around here everyone uses it aswell, but people didn't have problems at all switching to an alternative aswell, alot of people now use both.
Serelus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:04 AM   #11
bushido
macrumors 603

make a mac/windows version already .... like viber and telegram
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:07 AM   #12
tann
macrumors 65816

Next logical step!

Hopefully they make a desktop app (and non iPhone app e.g. iPod and iPad) so we can have true cross compatibility. But voice is very nice!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:13 AM   #13
seecoolguy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfoong View Post
facetime is good..

whatsapp aims to be simple...
the enemy is TELCOS... charging us airtime..

Kills the telcos..
But now in the states plans give you unlimited minutes but limit your data? Unless your on wifi how do you kill the telcos?
seecoolguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:21 AM   #14
B4U
macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter. Already removed due to failbookphobia.
B4U is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Koum also announced the popular cross-platform messaging service has grown to 465 million monthly active users and 330 million daily users, an increase of 15 million from the statistics released last December.

It also won't change its "no marketing, no ads" strategy and will continue to remain reasonably priced with a $0.99 annual fee after the first free year.

Article Link: WhatsApp to Add Voice Calling in Q2 2014
So, if I do a simple math, I get a potential $465 million income per year for Whatsapp. At that rate it will take 38 years to break even on the investment Facebook made. I can only guess that there is something else going on here that they are investing in. Maybe they will have an additional charge for the voice or something? But if they stay with no ads and only charge 99 cents per year, I do not see the $19,000,000,000.00 investment making any sense.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:12 AM   #16
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

So Zuckerberg can hear me now as well? No, thanks. Already moved to Telegram (and iMessage with my friends with iPhone).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:14 AM   #17
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Lets face it Facebook is haemorrhaging users at the moment and they needed something to up their user base. I can't see this making any real difference as most young people now see Facebook as something to avoid and its only a matter of time before this starts to be noticeable. WhatsApp has a lot of competitors so I don't see their user base staying too stable either now they are part of FB.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:30 AM   #18
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz-y View Post
I just don't get how a service can claim to be free and not use Ads and provide a service for free? Like how does it get its money? Selling my messages? Always weary of apps like that.
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:44 AM   #19
chriscrk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushli0n View Post
Will this mean that devices like iPod Touches will finally be allowed to use this app?
I don't see why this would make them make it available on the iPod touch. Your whatsapp account is activated by phone number, iPod touch doesn't have a phone number, so....
chriscrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:53 PM   #20
ugcop
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
I don't see why this would make them make it available on the iPod touch. Your whatsapp account is activated by phone number, iPod touch doesn't have a phone number, so....
It is easy enough to get around the restriction by using your Google number.
ugcop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:01 PM   #21
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Apple should just open up FaceTime and iMessage and try to make it the defacto standard. It's a slight inconvenience for non-iPhone users cos they'll have to download it and Apple can force ads on them while iPhone users get to communicate with *everyone* simply and elegantly just as they do today with other iPhone users.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:04 PM   #22
osaga
macrumors 6502

So Whatsapp became so popular because people needed an IP text messaging service for Android, because they were limited to a certain number of free SMS messages, and because sending photos on sms was unreliable/not possible.

Is that correct? Why didn't Android ship with an iMessages like app built in? What would happen to Whatsapp if they started charging for the service and Google provided a free IP based messaging app? Someone educate me.
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:20 PM   #23
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
So Whatsapp became so popular because people needed an IP text messaging service for Android, because they were limited to a certain number of free SMS messages, and because sending photos on sms was unreliable/not possible.

Is that correct? Why didn't Android ship with an iMessages like app built in? What would happen to Whatsapp if they started charging for the service and Google provided a free IP based messaging app? Someone educate me.
Idk about that scenario, but my circle started usштп Whatsapp because it was a way to avoid sms charges, and allowed quick and reliable way to share photos and videos. Russia, btw, and none I know use Android.

Last edited by eXan; Feb 24, 2014 at 02:22 PM.
eXan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:41 PM   #24
wowotoe
macrumors member

WhatsApp is kind of outdated in Asia. Everyone is now using LINE or WeChat. Both have voice & video calling. And LINE is already 100x profitable than WhatsApp on selling emoticons.
wowotoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:44 PM   #25
roadbloc
macrumors 604

With the icon I assumed it already had it. Apparently not.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion