Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I have a Cannon NTSC Elura 100 miniDV. I was told I need a fire wire. Ok got it. But I assume I need some sort of software in order to organize the hours of video into clips. How have any of you done this? Software. Tips. Etc. Thanks!

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Connect the 4pin firewire to 6 or 9pin firewire cable to your Mac (use a firewire to thunderbolt adaptor if necessary depending on what model you have).

Software? Just fire up iMovie and choose Import from Camera. Video will be automatically be imported into iMovies Events and once done, you can start editing something awesome!

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Connect the 4pin firewire to 6 or 9pin firewire cable to your Mac (use a firewire to thunderbolt adaptor if necessary depending on what model you have).

Software? Just fire up iMovie and choose Import from Camera. Video will be automatically be imported into iMovies Events and once done, you can start editing something awesome!

Thanks bro! I don't believe the camera came with a FireWire cable. So it looks like I need to pick up a FireWire cable (specific to the camera?) and a FireWire to thunderbolt adapter. I can do that. Thnaks a lot

Can I do this via the USB supplied cable?

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013

Is the apple FireWire to thunderbolt connector 4 pin 6 pin or 9 pin or what? I can't find it listed. Can't buy a FireWire until I find that. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
The apple thunderbolt to FireWire adapter is a FireWire 800. Does that mean it's a 9 pin?

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Thanks guys. So I got the apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter $29. And a FireWire 4 pin to 9 pin $9. The 9 pin hopefully goes into the apple adapter. The 4 pin hopefully into my camera. I have been wanting to do this for years. I wasn't even going to try on my windows xp.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks guys. So I got the apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter $29. And a FireWire 4 pin to 9 pin $9. The 9 pin hopefully goes into the apple adapter. The 4 pin hopefully into my camera. I have been wanting to do this for years. I wasn't even going to try on my windows xp.

These cables will work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.