Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Themightykojak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Hello.
I'm about to buy a MacBook Pro with retina but I need some help. I was originally going to buy the base model with 4GB of 1600MHz memory. But then I found out that 4 gb is nothing. So my question is if you guys think I should just upgrade the memory to 8gb and keep the 128 PCle flash based storage or just go with the next model up and get the 8gb model with 256 PCle flash based storage. I don't know what that stuff means so that's why I'm asking

Intended use:
School work. I'm an English major so I need to write almost everyday. I also do personal writing.
Web browsing: YouTube, reddit, etc
Social networking/media: tumblr, Pinterest etc
I know macs are great for some artsy stuff so Id like to also dabble with that tech, but I won't be doing anything too crazy.
I'd be using it for nexflix hbo etc as well.
Also, and this is in no way a definite thing, id like to run some simple games. Nothing too crazy. League of Legends, terraria etc. but at the same time if I can't it's not a big deal.

I want this machine to last me as long as possible. I know macs are very reliable so that's why I've decided to buy a macbook. I'll be using this unit for anything and everything until it's lifespan is over, so I want to make sure everything is perfect.

Also I want to know of there would be any reason to upgrade to processor from 2.4 to 2.6.
Thanks!
MacBook Pro with Retina display, New Mac buyer

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I would certainly get the 8GB/256GB combo. Gives you room to expand and Mavericks likes to beachball quite a bit with 4GB. And with the 256GB of space you can of course hold more data. My MBA with 4GB and 128GB SSD was fast, but it did beachball at times and I was always running out of room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.