Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoppingabird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Hello friends and fellow Apple enthusiasts,

I am posting today to voice a concern over the rumors I have been hearing regarding Apple increasing the screen size of the iPhone.

Increasing the screen size of the iPhone will increase the overall size of the phone resulting in a decrease of the portability of the phone, as well as sacrificing one-handed use of the phone. Portability and ease of use are huge factors in the iPhone's overall utility and should not be compromised.

I am also concerned that an increase in the size of the iPhone will result in the necessary use of a stylus. A stylus is not only unduly burdensome to retrieve for use each time you wish to use your phone, but also it is very tacky. I see very little advantage to using a skinny pen shaped device with a round mushy end to take notes, type, or scroll through my phone. Using a stylus also presents the problems of stowing the stylus when not in use, along with losing and replacing the stylus. Why would I want to use a stylus when I have a finger?

And finally, does anyone else feel that some kind of device with a 6 inch screen is no longer a "cell phone?" Case in point, how many of you have laughed at people who currently use the large Samsung phone? It is pretty hilarious to watch someone carry around what appears to look like an iPad up to their ear making phone calls.

One last note... Why would Apple want to be focusing on issues such as increasing the screen size when there are much more important issues to be addressed with the iPhone, such as, I dunno, maybe BATTERY LIFE!

Please join in the discussion weighing the pros and cons of Apple increasing the screen size of the upcoming new iPhone.

albertc

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Austin, TX
Necessary use of stylus?? Wut? They could up the screen size to like 4.5 inches and it would still be very pocketable. Heck, I have a 4.7inch screen and mine slips in and out of my pockets and I wear pretty slim fitting pants.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I think y'all must have small hands.

If Apple keeps the same size screen on the 6, I'll keep my 5 until it dies or they do increase the size.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Increasing the screen size of the iPhone will increase the overall size of the phone resulting in a decrease of the portability of the phone, as well as sacrificing one-handed use of the phone. Portability and ease of use are huge factors in the iPhone's overall utility and should not be compromised.

One last note... Why would Apple want to be focusing on issues such as increasing the screen size when there are much more important issues to be addressed with the iPhone, such as, I dunno, maybe BATTERY LIFE!

Please join in the discussion weighing the pros and cons of Apple increasing the screen size of the upcoming new iPhone.

I suggest you check out the Moto X. It has a 4.7" screen in a body that is really not that much larger than the iPhone 5/5c/5s. Additionally, it actually has very good battery life. In my opinion, it really showcases how good an Android phone done right can really be.

A larger screen iPhone doesn't mean that Apple is going to all the way to 6". If they bumped the size up to 4.5-5" and kept a very slim bezel, the phone itself wouldn't change much in size. The slight change in width and height does give a little more space for battery.

I'm not sure what caused you to go onto the tangent about a stylus. iPads don't need them...

mripadmini

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
The iPhone 4S is the best iphone ever made. Their are millions of teens using it still today. It is the perfect size just put updated internals, fingerprint sensor and lighting conector.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The iPhone 4S is the best iphone ever made. Their are millions of teens using it still today. It is the perfect size just put updated internals, fingerprint sensor and lighting conector.

I really think the 3.5" screen size is just too small. Additionally, I prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio of the 5/5c/5s over the 3:2 aspect ratio of the previous iPhones.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
3.5 inches is just so outdated. I'd like to see a 4.7 inch iPhone display. I think it would be great!

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Portability and ease of use are huge factors in the iPhone's overall utility and should not be compromised.
The HTC One Max fit in my front pocket just fine. I wear Levis and have no problem with a phone THAT big.

I am also concerned that an increase in the size of the iPhone will result in the necessary use of a stylus
Apple will never require you to use a stylus. Steve Jobs made it very clear that your finger was the best tool to use on a touchscreen and felt a stylus was rather useless.

And finally, does anyone else feel that some kind of device with a 6 inch screen is no longer a "cell phone?"
If it still makes and receives phone calls, sends texts, and has a carrier listed at the top left corner, then it will always be a cell phone to me, no matter how small or big they are.

A bigger screen would equal more space for a bigger battery, thus more than likely providing better battery life, plus the newer chips could potentially help with battery life as well. Each iteration has provided more talk time, I express talk time because that's what they go off of, not how much time you've spent playing Angry Birds.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Hello friends and fellow Apple enthusiasts,

I am posting today to voice a concern over the rumors I have been hearing regarding Apple increasing the screen size of the iPhone.

I am also concerned that an increase in the size of the iPhone will result in the necessary use of a stylus. A stylus is not only unduly burdensome to retrieve for use each time you wish to use your phone, but also it is very tacky. I see very little advantage to using a skinny pen shaped device with a round mushy end to take notes, type, or scroll through my phone. Using a stylus also presents the problems of stowing the stylus when not in use, along with losing and replacing the stylus. Why would I want to use a stylus when I have a finger?

And finally, does anyone else feel that some kind of device with a 6 inch screen is no longer a "cell phone?" Case in point, how many of you have laughed at people who currently use the large Samsung phone? It is pretty hilarious to watch someone carry around what appears to look like an iPad up to their ear making phone calls.

Does the iPad require a stylus....... and a bigger screen doesn't have to mean a much bigger phone.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010

After having the 5 and 5s (trying out T-Mobile and thought I'd try the 5s out for the time being), I can't go back to the 3.5 inch screen. 3.5 inch screens are no longer in Apples interest. It will be 4 inches or above. While I do believe making the phone wider would be better than making it longer.

hoppingabird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
I think I should clarify my post by stating that I am not interested in an Android device.

I want to continue using an iPhone but I do not want to see any of the practical utility compromised by increasing the screen size when that is not a desirable or necessary change.

I'm not sure what caused you to go onto the tangent about a stylus. iPads don't need them...

I apologize about my tangent on the stylus; however, it is a topic that I feel strongly about.

Also, I think T5BRICK meant to say: I'm not sure what caused you to go "on to" the tangent about a stylus, instead of, I'm not sure what caused you to go "onto" the tangent on the stylus.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You don't need to increase the size of the phone to increase the size of the screen. The S3 > S4 for example, the phone got smaller the screen got bigger.

There is no device that REQUIRES a stylus at least in device pertaining to this thread. The devices that do use one are out of the added functionality of the digitizer and stylus not because the screen is big.

Doesn't seem like you did a lot of research prior to posting.....

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You don't need to increase the size of the phone to increase the size of the screen. The S3 > S4 for example, the phone got smaller the screen got bigger.

There is no device that REQUIRES a stylus at least in device pertaining to this thread. The devices that do use one are out of the added functionality of the digitizer and stylus not because the screen is big.

I don't think the iPhone has a TON of room for display expansion though.....at least keeping the same dimensions....

The 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones will be bigger (if only slightly for the 4.7") than the current offerings. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I just hope they continue offering the 4" version with updated internals.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think I should clarify my post by stating that I am not interested in an Android device.

I want to continue using an iPhone but I do not want to see any of the practical utility compromised by increasing the screen size when that is not a desirable or necessary change.

I did not mention the Moto X because I was suggesting that you switch to an Android phone, but because I wanted to point out that it is entirely possible to increase the screen size and have very good battery life without making the phone huge.

I apologize about my tangent on the stylus; however, it is a topic that I feel strongly about.

There is no requirement to use a stylus on larger screen devices. I'm not sure why you're assuming Apple is going to introduce one after 7 years of devices WITHOUT a stylus.

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Also, I think T5BRICK meant to say: I'm not sure what caused you to go "on to" the tangent about a stylus, instead of, I'm not sure what caused you to go "onto" the tangent on the stylus.

Making fun of someones grammar is not allowed.

Anyway there is no reason to get upset, they will probably provide multiple screen sizes, even if they didn't the iPhone 5s won't just disappear.

hoppingabird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014

Please see the post directly below your post discussing display expansion while keeping the current dimensions, which is, in fact, the basis of this thread.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If you don't want a larger screen don't buy one. You can keep using your device. It's not like it is suddenly going to just stop working once something new comes out. Certainly nothing to get upset over.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Don't feel too bad, you can still buy the original iPhone on eBay with its 3.5" screen and I'm sure Apple will make the iPhone 5c free this year.

People are just scared of change and cry about it.

Personally, I'm looking forward towards a larger screen iPhone (not large like 5.5" but 4.7").

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I hope they keep a 4" screen option, or at least a 4.3" one. I've tried devices larger than that and prefer the more compact phones, easier to use one-handed and much more pocketable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't feel too bad, you can still buy the original iPhone on eBay with its 3.5" screen and I'm sure Apple will make the iPhone 5c free this year.

People are just scared of change and cry about it.

Personally, I'm looking forward towards a larger screen iPhone (not large like 5.5" but 4.7").
Or some people have different preferences, none of which makes it right or wrong or good or bad one way or the other.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

I think that's because they can't afford a new one and are now waiting for the iPhone 6.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Hello friends and fellow Apple enthusiasts........

They can increase the screen to 4.5" WITHOUT making the device larger. (maybe a mm or two)

Relax Dude!

By decreasing the bezels they can fit a larger screen - within the current dimensions.

You need to take deep breaths and wait to see what Apple ACTUALLY releases.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Please see the post directly below your post discussing display expansion while keeping the current dimensions, which is, in fact, the basis of this thread.

Well obviously I didn't see a post that was posted after mine prior to me posting.

I disagree though. There is a lot of bezel on the iPhone that can creatively be decreased. If other manufacturers can put a bigger screen on a similar sized device as the iPhone then surely Apple can do it.

Thats what I meant by research. The Razr M for example, that would be hard to distinguish size when compared to the iPhone 5 just by holding it (obviously it will FEEL different). However it had a 4.3" screen. Btw I'm not saying the Razr M was a good phone....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.