Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I liked the look of the Sony Fitness one but I expect it will only work with Sony phones.

The gear fit did look nice though. I liked the curved screen. I wonder how much it will be.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I liked the look of the Sony Fitness one but I expect it will only work with Sony phones.

The gear fit did look nice though. I liked the curved screen. I wonder how much it will be.

expensive I bet...around abouts what the gear 1 was.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I like the elongated screen, would like to see this thing with the functionality of the regular Gear. That screen format makes for more possibilities for a smartwatch IMO. Better to stretch out than go wide and bulky.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
It's the hit of the show thus far.

I'm an avid FuelBand wearer and this looks like a step in the right direction. But won't know more until real world usage.

My gut instinct tells me the next Gear Fit will be a better shout - and Samsung also need to invest heavily in the S Health app. That's key.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
think they said it gave the same notifications, right? or is it just email,calls, and texts?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
think they said it gave the same notifications, right? or is it just email,calls, and texts?

All notifications + plays music to bluetooth headset. No speaker, mic or camera. That's all I've been able to find out so far. Hopefully people start making apps for it, and that it becomes popular enough for Samsung to invest more in that format!

Oh, and I hope it has that function that auto unlocks your Galaxy phone when it gets close to the watch!

I can even see them going a tad wider for one with full Gear functionality, still wouldn't look bulky I think.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

no the sony one will work on any android device that has bluetooth low energy 4 and running kit kat

----------

expensive I bet...around abouts what the gear 1 was.

they are all meant to be cheaper than the original

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
no the sony one will work on any android device that has bluetooth low energy 4 and running kit kat

----------

they are all meant to be cheaper than the original

Will it include the life moments stuff as well you are not using a Sony phone?

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Looks like a nice watch, however shame its only locked to Galaxy devices.

Got the pebble at the moment. Going to hang fire until June when the Google/LG watch comes out.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Looks awesome, I would love to try one out, though two things are stopping. I don't know the price, but I would guess expensive because of how nice it looks, but more importantly it only works with Samsung devices and I probably won't get one unless the Note 4 pursuades me cause the S5 sure didn't .

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Is anyone else worried about the way the band fits around it? It's great that the bands are interchangeable but how secure is it. Other than that, I think it looks awesome and I'll most likely grab one.

If it is anything like the pebble in terms of size, it will fit just fine. I have very small wrist and the pebble does not look too big. I am sure it will fit most good, especially since they have to account for both men and women.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Oh I see what you mean. I guess I would have to see one in person, but from the video everything looks flush and form fitting.

Yeah I hope so, the rubber just looks kind of flimsy. Also I wonder if the screen orientates itself according to the position of your wrist. That would be neat. As it appears right now, it seems like it would be a strain on your wrist to view it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What does it do, read your heart rate and count your steps right? I don't know why anyone really puts so much stock into these, it seems like a fad. People like to make fitness so much harder than it really is, and that's why there is a multi billion dollar industry built around that simple fact. It's pretty fugly too, just to wear it for the fitness aspects and nothing else. If it was "free" on the full smartwatch then I'd take it, if only to crunch semi useless numbers.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What does it do, read your heart rate and count your steps right? I don't know why anyone really puts so much stock into these, it seems like a fad. People like to make fitness so much harder than it really is, and that's why there is a multi billion dollar industry built around that simple fact. It's pretty fugly too, just to wear it for the fitness aspects and nothing else. If it was "free" on the full smartwatch then I'd take it, if only to crunch semi useless numbers.

It's not just a fitness tracker. I believe is has all of the functionality of the Gear 2 except for the camera and ability to take/make calls--receives notifications, control music, as well as all of the fitness functionality.

The design may certainly be polarizing considering how it deviates from traditional watches. I personally like the design, though I hope you can dial down the brightness of the display. I also agree with Dontazemebro that the orientation is not ideal. Regardless though, I won't be able to give it a test drive as I don't use a Galaxy phone and have no plans to either.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's not just a fitness tracker. I believe is has all of the functionality of the Gear 2 except for the camera and ability to take/make calls--receives notifications, control music, as well as all of the fitness functionality.

The design may certainly be polarizing considering how it deviates from traditional watches. I personally like the design, though I hope you can dial down the brightness of the display. I also agree with Dontazemebro that the orientation is not ideal. Regardless though, I won't be able to give it a test drive as I don't use a Galaxy phone and have no plans to either.

Ahh, that would be cool to receive notifications, etc. I still never got used to that bracelet look, I'd rather just have a watch, but to each his own. It is more svelte than the Gear.

----------

No, I meant how the wrist strap fits around the hardware of the Galaxy fit. The curved rectangular glass just pops in and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmJS-4ninCw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hmm, after seeing the video I kinda like it. Can you totally detach it from the strap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.