Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This Interview with one of Apple's European managers, Pascal Cagni, details some of Apple's European market position.

Notably, there are no current plans for Apple Stores in Europe... Cagni admits Apple Europe isn't competing for the sub $800 market, but is selling a complete solution for the $1000+ market.

Cagni, himself, apparently hadn't been a Mac-guy until he got this job in 4/2000.

U

Unregistered

****in makes no sense at all, that interview...french ****head

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Apple Europe is definitely NOT doing the right things in order to gain more market share! Prices are way too high, no PR, no advertising, no Apple Stores. They're just not present.

And there's still a stupid system of authorized Apple resellers. Apple started to be authorize more resellers lately (like department stores, etc.), but it's still rather difficult to get a Mac and the software (I mainly use mail oder and I am living in Berlin!).

Apple Europe's board of directions should be replaced! But then again, I suppose that happens quite frequently... ;)

Gianrico

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2002
Capua - Italy
Here in Italy the situation is the same that the deutchland citizen has explained.

Apple Europe has to plan an apple store network like in the USA to increase the coverage of installed mas.

C

Camu

The same situation here in Belgium!

It's really hard to find a decent Apple shop.
I order everything online, because even the so-called "Authorized Resellers" don't know anything if you ask something more than just the price of a new Mac.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Hello Apple! There are potential coustomers in Europe!?! We want to buy Macs, we would happily spend our hard earned cash in Apple stores (we don't want to have to fly to the US to do it though).

Yes we in Euroland use computers! Unfortunatley many of us are ill-advised and constantly bombarded with MS XP advertisments, so we believe the only computers are PC's, and we know they go wrong.

Here in Europe we appreciate things of beauty, like great design and seamless integration.

Please become more visible in Europe, you never know grab a large share of the market.....

fragiledreams

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2001
Athens, Greece
The same here in Greece....
Power macs cost at least $500 more than in USA (I've actualy sent them an e-mail about their prices and they responded that "our prices are directly controled by apple (!) ...." Yeah right!!! Apple gives you the impression that it chooses randomly their worldwide reselers!!!), but i realy think that the launch of euro will improve this situation.....

zorglub

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2002
Paris France
we all want Apple stores in Europe, at least London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, etc
that's a shame for Apple to continue this politic...

z:)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
how hard would it be?

how hard would it be to setup an Apple reseller/distributor of some sort in Europe to accomodate the European market?

Mausabiest

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Germany
I think an Apple-Store would work in Germany, Italy, France and everywhere in the big cities (more than 1 Millinon Inhabbitants). Of course the Prices for rent are much higher than they are in the US but if we had an Apple store in Berlin I would drive by (I´m living 350 miles away) to look at the products. Maybe I would by them at a reseller because they´re cheaper but I was in Tampa Florida in an Apple store and I loved it. It was huge. You had everything, you could burn your own CD´s Audio and Data, Create your own Movie, touch everything it was great, I spent 3 hours in that store and wasn´t bored. I´m sure it would work in Europe with all those PC crap stores.

Andreas

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
How do the Apple stores work? Are they run by Apple or is it a franchise?

If it's not a franchise surely this would be a good way for Apple to make money (as long as standards were strictly controlled).

Any opinions?

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Same here in Australasia...

Down here in australia (and in new zealand) we've got the same problem - a lack of authorized apple retailers. We need applestores just like in the US...

I can empathise with those in europe...

U

Unregistered

Apple Store in Denmark

Actually, there IS an Apple Store in Europe: in Denmark of all places! It's basically a local on-line store, run by Apple Denmark, with a small physical store mainly for display and ordering things. Ie, it doesn't have the layout that the American mall stores have, nor the third-party inventory they boast.

There are only a dozen or so dedicated Apple stores in Denmark, but they are good. On top of that several chain stores sell Apple, and their staff is pretty knowledgeable. Plus, they have third-party stuff.

And in England (or at least London) there are lots and lots of shops with Apple wares, great staffs, etc - a virtual paradise for Macists!

shergar

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
London
and another thing...

US style advertising just doesn't work over here. All those Jeff Goldblum voiceover ads make no sense whatsoever to 99% of potential mac converts. Apple needs to make adverts which allay PC users fears about the Mac: that you can use Microsoft Word, that the files are compatable with those on your PC, that there is a great range of software etc etc.
Personally, I don't see how beautifully produced adverts of some American bloke asking for the middle seat on an airliner so he can edit a movie on his ibook really result in that many sales outside of California. They are totally at odds with the life that most people lead.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
re Apple Stores in europe...

You all should be patient... Apple stores are less than one year old in the states... if they lose money/fail... of course Apple won't be keen on expanding them... but if they are successful... I'm sure Apple will consider expanding them to other countries

They're still in the "testing" phase...

arn

macuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2002
ny
BLAH BLAH BLAH

I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM THAT OLD SCHOOL LAND OF "E" ACROSS THE A,SEE....SPENT MUCH OF THE TIME TUNING OUT WITH MY IPOD, FOR MUCH DOES NOT AGREE WITH ME. APPLE AND OVERSEAS JUST WON'T MIX...THE PEOPLE OF "E" SIMPLY CAN'T SEE....TO FAR BEHIND TECHNOLOGIES, BLAH BLAH BLAH.......THEY JUST DON'T GET IT-MACUSER

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.