Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
sooo cute ...

I had some initial trouble to install on my old reanimated MacMini Core2Duo. Originally it was running headless but I had to connect an HDMI monitor to get it folding. But after that it was smooth.

One WU finished in around 40 minutes. Base points for the first one was: 10. 10 not 10k. So will be nice to see if I get 20 or 50 once my passkey is working those those mini WUs too.

Ok; its not really for those hardcore folder with multiple Titans and dozen of Cores. But to get some older chips working it pretty cool. Or on a laptop which is mainly used for surfing (like the 17" MBP from my wife; should borg her's; I still have the admin rights anyway :rolleyes: ) getting another 1kPPD on my belt.

I don't want to sound sarcastic/cynical; I actually like the idea as it makes the way easier to hopefully include also iPad, iPhone or Androids later in the group of folding clients.
On a regular CPU folder rig this seems rather ... Strange,

Last edited:

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
I like it in that it is helping my WU count and catching up to twoodc - 112 today and counting!

I also agree that it helps the casual folders, but that only really helps the project if some of them can be converted into dedicated folders.
For them, I'd imagine a Mac GPU client or core_17 actually running on Maxwell would have been a preferred use of development effort...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Agree, my first thought was also: cool, a WU count booster ... :D

And I believe that is a kind of "thank you" project for Google and their recent contribution on folding. Can be wrong, too.

But still valid that those smaller WU will make mobile devices easier to add.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I like it in that it is helping my WU count and catching up to twoodc - 112 today and counting!

I also agree that it helps the casual folders, but that only really helps the project if some of them can be converted into dedicated folders.
For them, I'd imagine a Mac GPU client or core_17 actually running on Maxwell would have been a preferred use of development effort...

i'll trade you WU's for points! ;)

but i agree, i like this idea. i may try it out :)

----------

so would this be worth getting out my old PPC mac mini? :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.