Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hi all
I have a mid 2012 MBA running on 10.9
I yesterday deleted all data on my 2TB Timecapsule with the airport utility, as I wanted to start afresh and did not need any files on the TC (have a second backup)
I started TM and after some calculating time the info --MB of 580GB backed up. So far so good, besides it should be 480GB external+49GB MBA=530GB, but I do not care about that.
I did let TM run over night on the powercord with energy setting "never sleep while on power".
When I checked this morning the backup was stuck on 38GB!
I deleted what was on the TC and started afresh. After about 6h 176GB where backed up but now it is stuck again:mad:
Any suggestions what the problem could be??
the MBA is about 50cm away from the TC as it seems that makes a difference in transfer speed.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Open Console app from /Applications/Utilities and type "backup" in the search box at the top. Scroll through and look for any error messages from Time Machine that might tip you off to what is going on.

Also, try a command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Utility from there to run repair disk. Does that show any errors?

Time Machine uses the Spotlight index and if that is corrupt it can cause troubles. Run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and see if that helps.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hi Weasel
there are hundrets of threads in the consol system log
2 stuck out too me
"local launchservicesd[104]: Application App:"System Preferences" asn:0x0-1f01f pid:397 refs=8 @ 0x7f80f941c1a0 tried to be brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontApps ( ( "LSApplication:0x0-0x20020 pid=403 "com.apple.prefs.backup.remoteservice"")), so denying. : LASSession.cp #1481 SetFrontApplication() "
the last entry was:
" mdworker[18155]: (Normal) Import: Using too many resources after 1984 files (wired: 0 resident: 33160 swapped: 0 regions: 2071), hit usage threshold importing /Volumes/backup 12-13 till/My pictures/friends/Annette/first pic 06.2004 039.jpg, exiting to clean up now."
I actually did not use the computer at all while TM was running!
where exactly do I type the command you gave me.
I also do not know how to do the r boot. sorry for being so dense but IT is realy not my fiels

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi Weasel
there are hundrets of threads in the consol system log
2 stuck out too me
"local launchservicesd[104]: Application App:"System Preferences" asn:0x0-1f01f pid:397 refs=8 @ 0x7f80f941c1a0 tried to be brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontApps ( ( "LSApplication:0x0-0x20020 pid=403 "com.apple.prefs.backup.remoteservice"")), so denying. : LASSession.cp #1481 SetFrontApplication() "
the last entry was:
" mdworker[18155]: (Normal) Import: Using too many resources after 1984 files (wired: 0 resident: 33160 swapped: 0 regions: 2071), hit usage threshold importing /Volumes/backup 12-13 till/My pictures/friends/Annette/first pic 06.2004 039.jpg, exiting to clean up now."
I actually did not use the computer at all while TM was running!
where exactly do I type the command you gave me.
I also do not know how to do the r boot. sorry for being so dense but IT is realy not my fiels

Start the Console application then at the top right is a field labelled Filter. Type backup in there to only show messages related to Time Machine and that will help you sort through the other clutter in there.

haPxR5Q.png

To get to the recovery screen hold both the command and r keys both down when you boot up. You will get a screen that looks like this. Go to the Utilities menu at the top and select Disk Utility then run a repair disk once it starts.

7ljFqBG.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.