Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goffredo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I'm in the market for a new Mac laptop for work, and I want to wait until a new laptop model is released because I'll be stuck with it for a long time. So I check the buyer's guide section frequently.

It would be nice if I could subscribe to an RSS feed for one of the sections of the buyer's guide. For example, an RSS feed corresponding to the "Portables" section, or even to http://retinamacbookpro.macrumors.com/.

As it is, the only feeds available to me seem to be All Headlines, Front Page, Mac Blog, iPhone/iOS Blog. The scope of the Mac Blog is too coarse: I don't care about Soundgarden playing at SXSW, and the new Apple store in Lansing, Michigan. I just want to know when there is news on the laptops.

Any suggestions?

Seems like kind of a common use case for the MacRumors buyer's guide so I wanted to suggest setting it up with feeds.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What would you just in the feed. Just items that are tagged in each individual product feed?

arn

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I'm in the market for a new Mac laptop for work, and I want to wait until a new laptop model is released because I'll be stuck with it for a long time. So I check the buyer's guide section frequently.

It would be nice if I could subscribe to an RSS feed for one of the sections of the buyer's guide. For example, an RSS feed corresponding to the "Portables" section, or even to http://retinamacbookpro.macrumors.com/.

As it is, the only feeds available to me seem to be All Headlines, Front Page, Mac Blog, iPhone/iOS Blog. The scope of the Mac Blog is too coarse: I don't care about Soundgarden playing at SXSW, and the new Apple store in Lansing, Michigan. I just want to know when there is news on the laptops.

Any suggestions?

Seems like kind of a common use case for the MacRumors buyer's guide so I wanted to suggest setting it up with feeds.

Seems convenient, but just viewing the buyers guide really isn't that difficult or cumbersome to do. It's fairly simple to just view the guide whenever shopping for a product.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
Could set up a newsletter feed here too, actually.

Check off the devices you're interested in and get an email (with affiliate links, natch) when they get updated.

goffredo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
What would you just in the feed. Just items that are tagged in each individual product feed?

My personal use case would be to have a notification show up in my RSS feeds (or email, or whatever) when any item under the Portables section has transitioned to a "Just Updated!" state.

I know this is quite fine-grained; a more coarse granularity would be to get a notification -- again, RSS feed or email or whatever -- anytime any item in the Buyer's Guide experiences any state transition. That is better than nothing.

just viewing the buyers guide really isn't that difficult or cumbersome to do

I agree with that statement. Manually checking my email isn't really that difficult or cumbersome to do either, but I much prefer to have a push notification as soon as a new email comes in. Technology enables profound laziness.

Check off the devices you're interested in and get an email (with affiliate links, natch) when they get updated.

Exactly.

Thanks for the discussions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.