Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:37 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Moov Personal Training Device Tracks and Evaluates Motion to Improve Workout Efficiency

The Moov fitness tracker is a new wearable fitness device that is designed to sense both motion and 3D form in order to analyze the wearer's movement, giving tips to improve physical activities and workouts. It uses 9-axis sensors, including accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer to evaluate form.

Acting as a digital personal trainer, Moov can analyze activities like running, weight lifting, boxing, swimming, biking, and more, providing real-time audio advice and feedback. When running, for example, Moov can monitor cadence and analyze landing impact to prevent injury, and when boxing, it can analyze power and form, matching moves with certified trainers.

Quote:
Moov provides a two-fold benefit: firstly, to enable users to maximize their workouts, and secondly, to prevent injuries by providing real-time coaching based on a complex analysis of your body's position while you are exercising.

Existing fitness trackers in the market today are brilliant in that they help people to become more aware of their activity levels, and with Moov, we want to help you turn your data into actionable insights. Our goal is to give users the same experience with Moov as they would with an actual personal trainer. Well, a close-enough experience. How so? Moov operates like a virtual coach - it "sees" your motion and systematically "tells" you how to correct your form.
After launch, Moov will gain features allowing users to improve yoga workouts through posture tracking and enhance golf games with swing analysis. All data gathered is also stored within an accompanying app, for at-a-glance statistics on workouts and performance.

Moov, designed in collaboration with a former Apple software engineer, is able to be worn in several different locations on the body, including the wrist and ankle, for specialized motion tracking for a range of activities. The device is waterproof and will come in several different color arrangements at launch. Two or more Moov devices can be used in conjunction for improved activity monitoring for actions like boxing.

Moov can be pre-ordered from the Moov website for $59.99, a 50 percent discount off of the standard price. Moov is expected to ship in the summer of 2014.

Article Link: Moov Personal Training Device Tracks and Evaluates Motion to Improve Workout Efficiency
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

This looks kinda interesting. With many activities though, I can see the need for multiple devices.
Boatboy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:54 AM   #3
MattJessop
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MattJessop
This interests me quite a bit actually. I'm tempted by current fitness trackers, but I dislike that they only tell you what you're doing at the moment, and not how to do it better.

The real deal is waiting to see if it lives up to what they claim. There's a LOT of variables involved.

EDIT: Gave in and bought it. That lasted long haha. Now to play the waiting game...

Last edited by MattJessop; Feb 27, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
MattJessop is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Cubert
macrumors regular

My brain hurts just trying to think about how you would code this level of analysis.
Cubert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a

Wow.... this might really be a game changer, if it works.

Better than the bluetoothbrush for sure....
Hexiii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:37 PM   #6
Statusnone88
macrumors 6502a

All these fitness wrist wearables on the market... I'm going to need more wrists.
Statusnone88 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Urban Joe
macrumors member

Interesting...

Its funny to see how the marketplace has evolved post-iPhone. Companies are doing the two-step to avoid ever getting blind sided by another "i-Phone" event. Amazing the massive/tectonic activity surrounding wearables ever since the iWatch rumors started. Will be interesting to see how well Apple fares under this type of market condition since it serves to raise expectations to the stratosphere.

...onto the Moov....looks extremely interesting and uber tempting. I'm going to try to resist until the iWatch reveal...whenever that comes...to see Apple's take on what a perfect wearable "should" be. No doubt they will debut with lots of self exalting "Apple" talk about how they are the only company that could do it RIGHT.

...how long will this be supported till Apple/Google/Amazon buys this company? Apple let Nest go. Will they let this one get away? Funny how much (necessary) speculation has crept into consumer electronic purchases?

Last edited by Urban Joe; Feb 27, 2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarity
Urban Joe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:09 PM   #8
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Seems like a useful and legit product, but many, if not most, of its functions could show up in the rumored 'iWatch', as that will most likely also have multiple sensors, an accelerometer, and a gyroscope, amongst who knows what else.

I give Moove credit for a sleek, and for now, reasonably priced product, but unfortunately for them, many potential users of such a device are now taking a wait-and-see attitude until Apple officially enters that arena.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:57 PM   #9
Schranke
macrumors regular

This seams to be the first thing for swimmers, just a shame that i can not find more info about it on their website.
Have been looking into something to help me track my swims for a while now, just doesn't seams like anything exist
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:12 PM   #10
akatsuki
macrumors regular

I backed Atlas which looks a lot more advanced. Thinking about doing this one too for kicks, but frankly don't need more crowdfund junk.
akatsuki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:14 PM   #11
mejsric
macrumors regular

Why there is one Samesung phone in the picture?

I thought this not yet available on Android.
mejsric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:04 PM   #12
diegogaja
macrumors member

Check out Shine by Misfit technologies. Kinda similar.
diegogaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:55 PM   #13
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Bought it as well. Not bad for $60 shipped. I like Atlas too but its too expensive.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:08 AM   #14
tsr506
macrumors newbie

Wink tipps

5$ cheaper (and 50% of course), make sure you use the following link when you purchase:

http://moov.cc/getmoov/64D880FD7A
tsr506 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion