Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I have been using Playback by Yazsoft to stream videos from my Mac to my WD TV Live, since connecting the two via file sharing has never worked reliably (and does not work at all since I upgraded to Mavericks). Unfortunately, Yazsoft has been shut down and Playback won't be developed any more.

Does anybody know of any alternatives? I remember Rivet from many years ago, but it seems that has been discontinued as well.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I am also still looking. It seems like all the alternatives are way to big and complex, try to do too many unwanted things (like converting video on the fly) and are at the same time way more limited (e.g. they only support specific formats, don't allow subtitles, etc).

Playback has a small footprint and seems to simply open a channel to my computer for the playback device. Then any file can be played without any degradation or other problems. Also I never had any problems with subtitles.

I really hope a decent alternative pops up at some point.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Another person looking for an alternative since it doesn't work with Yosemite. Playback was great it used very little resources. It sat in my tool bar and just did its job. It was extremely easy to configure. Every alternative I have tried like you said "tries to do too many things" Everyone seems to love plex but I don't need all that. Just an easy UPnp Dlna server, nothing more. It doesn't need an interface or fancy menu screens. I like how I have my files and don't need them under genre and year...

Anyway until I get something else Im using XBMC but please if anyone finds something close to Playback let me know.

canadaeh?

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
it works with Yosemite

Playback has been my favourite DNLA server.

Playback v1.8.17 worked for me on Mavericks and it continues to work for me on Yosemite. Not sure what is happening on your side - exactly what isn't working for you? Maybe I could test it and let you know.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Playback has been my favourite DNLA server.

Playback v1.8.17 worked for me on Mavericks and it continues to work for me on Yosemite. Not sure what is happening on your side - exactly what isn't working for you? Maybe I could test it and let you know.
I think my issue is when I updated the latest version I could get ahold of was 1.8.15. Ive been searching for 1.8.17 since you said that one works fine with yosemite. I may have it on an older backup, if I do ill just drag it to my yosemite drive.

Edit: Just tried with a backup of 1.8.17 that I had. It works with Yosemite so the thing to know is only versions 1.8.16 + 1.8.17 work with Yosemite. Thank you so much for responding with your version number, thats what clarified.

Last edited:

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I have been using Playback by Yazsoft to stream videos from my Mac to my WD TV Live, since connecting the two via file sharing has never worked reliably (and does not work at all since I upgraded to Mavericks). Unfortunately, Yazsoft has been shut down and Playback won't be developed any more.

Does anybody know of any alternatives? I remember Rivet from many years ago, but it seems that has been discontinued as well.

Download 1.8.17 here The site is in Russian but the download is english

toxicquack

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Adding my name to the list of people who now cannot get Playback to work with Yosemite. It will stream momentarily but then stops and judders and eventually cancels the playback. Worked perfectly before.

What are the alternatives now it's been discontinued?

toxicquack

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Just a quick follow up for a temporary solution - Rivet - while it's also discontinued it is working perfectly for me on Yosemite. Best of all it's totally free.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27344/rivet

I would still like to find a more permanent replacement for Playback as Rivet is discontinued and could stop working with any update to Yosemite.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Adding my name to the list of people who now cannot get Playback to work with Yosemite. It will stream momentarily but then stops and judders and eventually cancels the playback. Worked perfectly before.

What are the alternatives now it's been discontinued?

Did you look at what version you are running? 1.8.17 runs fine on my machine. The issues I had disappeared when I saw I needed to update from earlier versions (quick note the check for update option doesn't work anymore because the company went under, it will just show as up to date)

It would be nice if OS X had a DNLA setting under sharing, but I won't hold my breath for that.

toxicquack

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Did you look at what version you are running? 1.8.17 runs fine on my machine. The issues I had disappeared when I saw I needed to update from earlier versions (quick note the check for update option doesn't work anymore because the company went under, it will just show as up to date)

It would be nice if OS X had a DNLA setting under sharing, but I won't hold my breath for that.

I cannot update it, I tried clicking the "check for update" but it doesn't work. I know that Yazsoft have discontinued for it, so it appears it's no longer functional?

I need to get 1.8.17 but it seems like that's no longer possible. The download link you provided was helpful but the patch doesn't work with Yosemite.

----------

Also, Rivet while a suitable temporary solution is far from ideal. It does disconnect a lot. It plays stuff okay and it's better than nothing - but really I want Playback up and running again.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I cannot update it, I tried clicking the "check for update" but it doesn't work. I know the company stopped support for it, so it appears it's no longer functional?

I need to get 1.8.17 but it seems like that's no longer possible.

I posted a link for it about 5 posts ago.

toxicquack

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
I posted a link for it about 5 posts ago.

Yeah that was a moment of hope, but sadly the patch part doesn't work and doesn't recognise my previous version.

"This patch seems to be corrupted. Please make sure you get your patchers from a trusted source."

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Yeah that was a moment of hope, but sadly the patch part doesn't work and doesn't recognise my previous version.

All you have to do is open the .dmg then place thePlayback into your applications folder. it over writes the original but keeps all your settings. Works perfect.

toxicquack

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
All you have to do is open the .dmg then place thePlayback into your applications folder. it over writes the original but keeps all your settings. Works perfect.

This is what I tried, but this is what I get unfortunately:

d4cHOhq.png

Thanks for your replies by the way, appreciate it.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
This is what I tried, but this is what I get unfortunately:

Thanks for your replies by the way, appreciate it.
Im trying to figure out a way to ask something without actually asking...
Do you still have the email they sent when you ordered playback originally with the registration activator?

toxicquack

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Do you still have the email they sent when you ordered playback originally with the registration activator?

Nope, that's the annoying part (I think I originally bought it in about 2012). I'd even be willing to buy it again because it's only $15 (or it was) but that option is not possible any more as you can't purchase it anywhere. I tried emailing Yazsoft as well to no avail.

canadaeh?

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
you're very welcome. I found this thread as Playback is one of my compatibility checks that I run against any time a new OS is released. I use it that much in my home! Lost my old account on here and had to sign up just to post that it works for me. Glad to see there are others out there that appreciate how lightweight and useful this app is/was.

I think my issue is when I updated the latest version I could get ahold of was 1.8.15. Ive been searching for 1.8.17 since you said that one works fine with yosemite. I may have it on an older backup, if I do ill just drag it to my yosemite drive.

Edit: Just tried with a backup of 1.8.17 that I had. It works with Yosemite so the thing to know is only versions 1.8.16 + 1.8.17 work with Yosemite. Thank you so much for responding with your version number, thats what clarified.

----------

heh heh this made me chuckle.

Canado

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Also my favorite. Glad to hear it works with Yosemite. Main reason I did not upgrade as without apple TV this software is the best way to play files all sorts.

whereisdan

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Sorry to bump an old thread, but for anyone still having problems ... 1.8.14 works just fine on Yosemite. I've been using that version since Yosemite was released. Never an issue.

It seemed the newer versions don't like Yosemite. :S

Liger Megatron

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Newbie with the same problem jumping in head first... Would LOVE to have spent the $15.00 on a licence key to purchase this program but have only been using Mac's for a year or so.... Can anyone help me out with the licence key/demo version problem please?

regards,
Liger

Alyssa

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2003
Texas
Sorry for the bump but I just love Playback and in my opinion there's nothing else out there for Macs that are as good.

I have been using Playback forever since they were offering a really cheap special, I forgot how much it was but something like $10 maybe. Anyway I'm version 1.8.12 and currently working perfect with Mac OS Sierra (10.2.2). I only use the Video streaming though. Don't have use for the rest.
For anyone having problems sharing through Samba network and NTFS drives, that's an entirely different problem not related to Playback. You'll need to google installing an updated Samba with proper NTFS support.

BowntY

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2017
Sorry for the bump but I just love Playback and in my opinion there's nothing else out there for Macs that are as good.

I have been using Playback forever since they were offering a really cheap special, I forgot how much it was but something like $10 maybe. Anyway I'm version 1.8.12 and currently working perfect with Mac OS Sierra (10.2.2). I only use the Video streaming though. Don't have use for the rest.
For anyone having problems sharing through Samba network and NTFS drives, that's an entirely different problem not related to Playback. You'll need to google installing an updated Samba with proper NTFS support.

Where can i get the full version?
I only have the 6 days trial.
But nowhere i find to buy.
Can anyone help?
'Cause it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.