Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I have a Imac and just bought a MB air I set it up as new.
I wanted my pics from my iPhoto on the Mac in my MB air iPhoto so I used migrate assist and it created a whole other user and my photos are on there but I was just trying to get the pics in my account I already had set up.
So I guess my question is should I just delete the user account I set up and use the new user account?
Also my Imessages work on the first account I set up but I can't get the one I used migrate assist to work?
Also how or what can I do so I can delete book marks on the MB air without deleting them on my iMac?
Hope some or all this makes sense

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
1. Create new admin account, delete other accounts.
2. Use migration assistant on accountX from old machine
3. Once you are happy with new machine, you can change accountX name.

I wanted my pics from my iPhoto on the Mac in my MB air iPhoto so I used migrate assist and it created a whole other user and my photos are on there but I was just trying to get the pics in my account I already had set up.
So I guess my question is should I just delete the user account I set up and use the new user account?
Also my Imessages work on the first account I set up but I can't get the one I used migrate assist to work?
Also how or what can I do so I can delete book marks on the MB air without deleting them on my iMac?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Okay... so you are happy with the new account and all is well there except you just need your photos?

Login to the old account where the photos are and copy the entire contents of the Pictures folder to the /Users/Shared folder. Now logout of the old account and login to the new account. Then copy the photos (and iPhoto library etc) from the /Users/Shared folder to your account's Pictures folder.

Then option click open iPhoto and point it to your iPhoto library in the Pictures folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.