Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mogens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Hi
I've been playing Tomb Raider 2013 all night on my new 27" iMac i7 on maxed out settings :) After playing I immediately switched to iStat pro and noticed that the GPU temperature was around 85 degrees C. After 15 minutes it feel to around 42 C.
85 C. is a little high? Or is it normal for the GTX 780M?
thx

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Hi
I've been playing Tomb Raider 2013 all night on my new 27" iMac i7 on maxed out settings :) After playing I immediately switched to iStat pro and noticed that the GPU temperature was around 85 degrees C. After 15 minutes it feel to around 42 C.
85 C. is a little high? Or is it normal for the GTX 780M?
thx

I don't really know if this helps but under Windows, my 780M hits 90C

Even on 60-70% CPU load and fans running full speed, CPU temperature is in the 90's C

Idling, my GPU temp is around 50C and my CPU is 55C.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I think the max temp rated for that card is 95C.

Pro Tip: The ambient temperature in the room can really help to bring down temps.
If your in a room that's 65F degrees during Winter, you may only ever hit 50C-70C

While, in the summer if your room is 70 or 75F you may see temps up to 85-90C when hardcore gaming. Just something I've noticed over the course of two years with my iMac.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
Pro Tip: The ambient temperature in the room can really help to bring down temps.
If your in a room that's 65F degrees during Winter, you may only ever hit 50C-70C

While, in the summer if your room is 70 or 75F you may see temps up to 85-90C when hardcore gaming. Just something I've noticed over the course of two years with my iMac.

says thermodynamics

EDIT: Had my laws confused...

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I think the max temp rated for that card is 95C.

My room Temperature is 17C ( cold indeed ) and I'm having those temperatures I mentioned. Kinda worried about summer time.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
When idling, my 780M is around 36-40 C. When playing X-Plane it is between 67-72 C. But that is because I force the fan to 1900 RPM using iStat Menu's when I play X-Plane. I don't like Apple's stock fan control.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
It's normal for GPU to get hot as you say your's got to, when running graphically intensive games. Though iMac's cooling is not bad for its size and form factor, it's also not a ideal solution for running intensive games for extended periods. Keep the ambient temperature low as possible, it does help.

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
This really is quite normal. In my years of gaming on Mac I actually expect temperatures between 80 and 95. Apple like their computers to run quiet so the fan works only as hard as it has to bring the temperature to a safe limit. When summer comes, you may find your fans are working harder, and giving you the same upper temperature. A cooler ambient temperature will help, of course, but often just to take some pressure off the fans.

For comparison, my mbp did four years of gaming at 95C and 6000rpm and it's still happy as can be.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Just wanted to chime in.

I've been playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin and the game has many shadow and lighting effects that run surprisingly well in OS X. I have the settings in the higher mid range / lower high range (if that makes sense). They're not totally maxed out, but the game still looks great and achieves 60fps. I noted the GTX 780m hit 93c while playing.

I've had several iMacs and other Macs over the years and have gamed on them all, so I'm not too worried about it. They let the computers hit higher temps so long as it's within spec.

Wreckie

macrumors regular
May 9, 2011
I would say this is normal under heavy gaming conditions. I once had about 98 Degrees with 6970M after playing game.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Just a follow up...

Noticed the 780m hit 95c last night while gaming. Fan finally kicked up to about 1600rpm to keep it from going any higher than 95c.

Not worried about the temps too much, as it is a laptop part and the system is (hopefully) designed to keep everything within thermal limitations before any damage occurs. Just thought it was interesting that something needed to hit its thermal limit before the fan actually ramped up higher than the default 1200rpm

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Unless you clearly feel the graphic card is thermal throttled (e.g. significant FPS drop). There is nothing to worry about. The iMac is designed to be as quiet as possible. You can increase the fan speed by some 3rd party software to lower the temperature. However, it won't give you any performance boost but more noise.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Just a follow up...

Noticed the 780m hit 95c last night while gaming. Fan finally kicked up to about 1600rpm to keep it from going any higher than 95c.

Not worried about the temps too much, as it is a laptop part and the system is (hopefully) designed to keep everything within thermal limitations before any damage occurs. Just thought it was interesting that something needed to hit its thermal limit before the fan actually ramped up higher than the default 1200rpm

95c is not something i would take lightly, isn't that the max recommended temp for the card from nvidia or is it 100c? If it was bootcamp it would be so so but a game on osx making those temperatures is weird, is it very hot ambient where you game?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
When gaming? Of course it's going to get hot when gaming...it's a mobile part, very different from a desktop GTX 780 especially when it comes to thermals. Perhaps you should turn down your graphics settings if it's getting that hot.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
95c is not something i would take lightly, isn't that the max recommended temp for the card from nvidia or is it 100c? If it was bootcamp it would be so so but a game on osx making those temperatures is weird, is it very hot ambient where you game?

No, ambient temp is 72F. The game is Divinity: Original Sin. It surprisingly runs incredibly well in OSX with a lot of eye candy turned up. I may dial it down a bit.

But being that it is a mobile part I am not too too worried.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
No, ambient temp is 72F. The game is Divinity: Original Sin. It surprisingly runs incredibly well in OSX with a lot of eye candy turned up. I may dial it down a bit.

But being that it is a mobile part I am not too too worried.

yup the ambient temp seems fine, guess thats the way it is for the gtx780m.
Happy gaming & don't bother about temps..

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Just a follow up...

on a second note have you been keeping an eye on your cpu temperatures when playing this game?

Thanks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.